We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Game Drives in KNP"

St. Augustine, FL
Level Contributor
42 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Best Game Drives in KNP"

We're going to be self-driving through KNP for 6 nights in Nov. '12 and will be staying at different camps. My husband & I would also like to book a night time and an early morning game drive during the week since this will be our first time in KNP. Which camp offers the best early AM & night time game drive?

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Game Drives in KNP"

Which camps have you booked? If you haven't booked any yet do so as soon as possible.

I prefer the game drives from the smaller or more northern camps purely because you get much fewer people on the drives. However, it all depends on what the group is like on your drive, the guide's enthusiasm and knowledge and quite a bit of luck as to what you actually see. Lower Sabie and Satara are both good for drives. Have had good drives from Shingwedzi and Letaba too.

I would highly recommend doing a guided morning walk, the experience is unique. I actually prefer the sunset drives as the predators are often becoming active just after the sun goes down.

St. Augustine, FL
Level Contributor
42 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Game Drives in KNP"

Thank you for your feedback. Actually the camps you mentioned are the ones we've already booked for accomodations. Are you saying the sunset drives are preferable to the actual night drives?

Are the drives offered in the camps through Siyabona highly rated or are pther ones offfered nearby the way to go? I have inquired about the ones through Siyabona but have not booked them yet.

I will look into the guided morning walks as you suggest. Thanks for your help.

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Game Drives in KNP"

The ONLY drives offered FROM Sanparks camps are run by Sanparks with Sanparks guides, as are the walks. If you book through Siyabona they are just booking with Sanparks for you for the same thing. All of these can be booked and paid at Reception when you are in camp although you run the risk of missing out on a place at the bigger and more popular camps. You can also book any of these activities in advance with Sanparks reservations on www.sanparks.org

Preference for sunset drives is a personal thing. Night drives can be quite productive too. Some of the species we have seen on night drives and sunset drives are lion, elephant, genets, civet, hyena and leopard. A good idea is to look at the dedicated sightings book for each drive which should be in Reception. You will get a good idea of what has been seen in the preceding days.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Game Drives in KNP"

The quality of the game drive depends a lot on the quality of the Sanparks guide you get. Some of them are good, and some are really terrible. In my experience the camp with the best guides at the moment is Lower Sabie. In Satara I have also had some good drives, and some poor ones. In Skukuza mostly poor ones, unfortunately. Not because the game viewing is poor, I am only talking about the quality of the guide who conducts the drive.

There are three ways to go on game drives in Kruger. The first is driving yourself around (you have the most flexibility, but game viewing from a low closed vehicle is not as nice as having an open vehicle with better visibility and height). The second is using Sanparks game drives (morning, sunset or night drives), which from the main camps are mostly conducted on big open 20 seater trucks by a Sanparks guide.

The third is to use a private company offering guided open vehicle day drives. Many companies offer guided open vehicle day drives in Kruger, some of them will even pick up from your camp in Kruger by prior arrangement. Typically they use 9 seater open safari vehicles with a canopy, and the quality again will depend on the quality and experience of the guide you happen to get. (We do not offer day drives, but various other safari companies do).

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

5. Re: Best Game Drives in KNP"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 06:18