We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for best guide book on Kruger/South Africa

Madison, AL
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice for best guide book on Kruger/South Africa

I've seen a good report about Globetrotter's Kruger National Park, but now I'm wondering if there are any other guide books which anyone recommends? Thanks.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for best guide book on Kruger/South Africa

I've got a copy of the Globetrotter book. I think the map that accompanies the book is excellent. I used the book to locate some bird hides. It's a useful book.

I purchased the Kruger National Park Map by Honeyguide Publications at the first rest camp I stopped at in KNP. The thin, approximately 8" x 11" booklet cost me somewhere between $5-10 a few years back. In addition to the maps of KNP, the book includes open/close times, a distance table, and pictures of the wildlife you'll likely see (which you can use as a check list). A really useful book and nice souvenir that I highly recommend.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
112 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for best guide book on Kruger/South Africa

Getaway guide to Kruger is really great for detailed information on Kruger camps and roads and where to find wildlife.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,469 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for best guide book on Kruger/South Africa

The Honeyguides book suggested by Steve is our absolute favorite, we have one with us in the car constantly for the maps, animals, birds and more.

We are on our third because they are so well worn that they are falling apart, plus as he says it is nice to bring one home as a souvenir .

The Getaway guide is much thicker and more detailed and makes great reading especially when you are preparing for your trip.

But if you are self driving you just have to pick up the Honeyguide book from the gate on arrival or at one of the camps.

4. Re: Advice for best guide book on Kruger/South Africa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 18:17