We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Kruger as good as this book makes it looks?

K E
Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is Kruger as good as this book makes it looks?

…apple.com/au/…

Edited: 03 July 2012, 12:19
Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
653 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Kruger as good as this book makes it looks?

Kruger is an incredible place for wildlife in South Africa which is one of 17 "megadiverse" countries. Madagascar and Democratic Republic of Congo are the other two megadiverse African countries as they also contain a very high concentration of wildlife..

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megadiverse_countries

Jasper, Georgia
Level Contributor
19 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Kruger as good as this book makes it looks?

The Kruger park and the private game reserves around it are probably the best and most convienint wildlife viewing in the world. You can see the big five in the wild, really feel like you are in the bush and still have electricity, and air conditioning and get there from a major city in a fairly short time. If you have the chance - go!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
709 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Kruger as good as this book makes it looks?

Nope, it is better

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Kruger as good as this book makes it looks?

Nope, Janjans, I agree ... LOL LOL!

I've visited the Kruger so many times I lost count years ago, and it just gets better and better! I just can't seem to tire of it!

The book appears to be set at Umlani Bush Camp, which is the exact spot where I completely fell in love with the Kruger (and the Timbavati) 24 years ago, a passion that I've never lost. In those days Umlani was a concrete slab under a corrugated iron roof; today it is a wonderful bush lodge. It proved to be a day which eventually changed my career and ultimately my life.

So yes ... Kruger is THAT good! LOL!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
830 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Kruger as good as this book makes it looks?

It is the worst place in the world... !

Stay well away, and tell everyone else to do likewise.

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
653 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Kruger as good as this book makes it looks?

Haha Orbis - it would be unfair for you to have the spectacular scenery and wildlife viewing all to yourself!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
830 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Kruger as good as this book makes it looks?

When something is sooooo good....

You simply have to try to keep it a secret.

I suggest we (Kruger junkies) all make a concerted effort and start putting people off from visiting.

Some friends of ours in the UK, had visited many other places in Africa, but never to Kruger. We showed them our ideal, and ever since they have been visiting Kruger. They have now been to Kruger roughly 8 times in the last 3-4 years.

So on that basis, Kruger simply has to be considered very poor, lacking in wildlife, expensive, hard to do, dangerous, yes highly dangerous because evrything there wants to eat you.

The only thing there is in abundance are lots of horrid people, South Africans are especially, nasty, vicious, rugby freaks, and they play cricket too, so best to be avoided at all costs.

I hear north Africa is nice though !!

or Antarctica, there are plenty of penguins.

High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
14 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Kruger as good as this book makes it looks?

As per BushKid and Janjans – I have stayed in the Kruger and many other game reserves but no book can capture the beauty of the Kruger.

Another thing that cannot be put into the book is the atmosphere of the KNP. It has a special feel to it. I have stayed in some of the private reserves with all the luxury and although they are fantastic nothing captures the atmosphere you get when staying in the KNP camps. Seeing all the BBQ fires (Braai) outside the huts/rondavels at dusk and the warmth coming off the ground and hearing the crickets and insects and the smell of the bush. Everyone sharing their game viewing experiences and their secret viewing spot.

Yep – It’s better than the book.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,665 posts
5,750 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Kruger as good as this book makes it looks?

Yah, its good!!!!

Have been many, many places. KNP and Greater KNP, combined is my favorite of the safari parks in Southern and Eastern Africa for the reasons others have suggested above and it is also one of our top three very favorite places in the world to spend time.

In fact, just returned from Greater NP, 8 day safari - had 8 encounters with leopards, several of them very personal and for 20-30 minutes time. How can you get tired of these type experiences? Already thinking about our next trip.

Washington DC...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Kruger as good as this book makes it looks?

Kruger is incredible. I was there in Oct 2011 and was stunned by the abundance of wildlife. It was way beyond my expectations. Am working on coming back in 2013!