We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Camp?

melbourne
Level Contributor
111 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Which Camp?

Hi, I have 2 nights booked at olifants then a spare night followed by 2 nights at Skuzza. I was looking at booking 1 night at satara but wondering if it is worth it for the hassle of changing camps. The alternative is an extra night at either of the other 2 camps. I was thinking I could stay at olifants and just head straight to the satara area 1st thing in the morning for our game viewing. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Camp?

I would go with the plan for an extra night at Oliphants, it is a lovely camp.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Camp?

A night at Satara is definitely worth it. It means you can get to the famous S100 as soon as gates open in the morning and then again before gates close at night. The S100 has always been kind to us with prides of 11 plus lions, leopards and cheetah.

Two nights at Olifants followed by a night at Satara and then a couple of nights at Skukuza sounds like a great itinerary to me.

Boston...
Level Contributor
359 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Camp?

I would recommend either adding a night at Olifants or the night in Satara.

I agree with Tomcal about the S100 and getting there early. The Satara region is nice so spending a night there is not a bad idea. If you can get it, it is not a bad idea.

Safe travels!

Cheers.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Camp?

Good advice above. But you're on holiday, and if the packing and unpacking seems like a hassle, then rather do an extra night at Olifants. You can still drive down the S90 and S41 (a very productive road also) to get to the S100 a bit later in the morning. And don't pin all your hopes on the S100. I have driven it many times, sometimes I saw amazing things and I have also driven it many times without seeing anything. One problem I have with driving this dirt road first thing in the morning or last in the afternoon, is the number of cars from Satara that choose this road so you end up driving in a convoy of cars, kicking up a dust cloud that just makes me want to keep my camera wrapped up airtight and out of sight. That's why staying in Olifants, then coming down the S90 S41 and doing the S100 from East to West at 9 am may not be a bad alternative. Just my opinion. Whenever I think TODAY I'm going to see the whole of National Geographic on the S100, I usually see nothing... (and sometimes those are my favourite drives).

Have fun!

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Boston...
Level Contributor
359 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Camp?

Very good advice on the dust from the gravel roads from Onne. Also, the H-6 is another option as you consider this part of Kruger. But, as Onne and many others have correctly pointed out....there is no guarantee to see that wildlife documentary unfold in front of you. In fact, in my time in Kruger those moments tend to happen when least expected and anticipated.

Enjoy and Cheer!

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Camp?

Advantages of one night at Satara

1. It is a big camp so it is a great for a nice long walk around to stretch your legs before supper after spending all day sitting in the car.

2. Arguably the best camp to take a night drive from.

3. If you are closeish to the fence and not in air-conditioned accommodation, you will very likely hear lion and hyena at night.

4. Different landscape - Satara area is very flat compared to Olifants

Disadvantages

1. Packing and unpacking

melbourne
Level Contributor
111 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Camp?

Thanks for all your advise might be coin toss in the end but whichever way i go hopefully we will have some good sightings. I have 3 nights at Elephant Plains first so should have some good sightings there before we head off on our own in Kruger, well on our own except for the traffic jams at sightings!!! Thanks again.

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
657 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Camp?

Hi: we were just at Olifants last week and it was lovely. The river is amazing, full of noisy hippos and the birdlife was abundant. We saw lots of elephants [crossing the river in a train one day, 20-30 of them] and baboons etc in the area but didn't have the best luck with any big cat sightings in the immediate area the 2 days we stayed there and toured around. You may want to get down closer to Satara which was nice and had loads of sightings when we were passing through. Just don't unpack too much and it won't be too hard to hit the road again. Enjoy!

9. Re: Which Camp?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2013, 07:15