We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Distance and your Expertise required!!

Montreal
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving Distance and your Expertise required!!

Coming to South Africa in 2 weeks with my wife! Very excited!

Been reading post after post and have been getting a lot of Amazing tips and help!

Only have a bit over 2 weeks, Spending the first half of our trip in Cape Town and the Garden Route. The second week, we will fly to JoBurg and do a self drive through Kruger National Park for 2-3 nights, and will end our trip doing 2 nights with Gomo Gomo game Lodge. Will then slowly drive back to Joburg to catch our flight back to Canada.

I have been checking out SanParks website to see the lodge options. There isn't many choices left, but we are very flexible and not picky with the types of lodges we stay in.

My Question - Coming from Joburg - Which area should I self drive that will slowly lead us to Gomo Gomo - Nelspruit. We don't mind staying at a different spot each night. My wife wanted to check out Sabie? Is that too far apart?

I am trying to look at maps, but with the non-rush and speed limit kind of driving, I find myself feeling a bit disoriented. Would appreciate any suggestion or tips given!

Thanks in Advance,

Jason

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Distance and your Expertise required!!

I think a lot will depend on availability at such short notice. However, I would drive from Johannesburg and enter through Numbi Gate and (to please your wife !) drive across to Lower Sabie (distance 95 km). Stay first night there. Then spend the next next driving gently up to Satara Camp (distance 93 km) for your 2nd night. You could then exit through Orpen Gate (48 km) and head for Gomo Gomo. If you want to spend an extra night in Kruger stay for 2 nights at either Lower Sabie or Satara.

When you first enter the Park, when paying your entrance fee you can also buy a map of the Park and decide the exact route you want to take. The signposting is very good (with distances shown). Very difficult to say how long it will take but try and plan a route that will leave you near a Camp or designated area with toilet/shop facilities as these are of course the only places you are allowed to get out of your car.

Allowing for frequent (hopefully) stop to admire the animals you come across we usually base our calculations on an average of around 25 km per hour driving speed. Plus of course time stopping for refreshments.

From Johannesburg to Hazyview (nearest town to Numbi Gate) is about 400 km should take something like 6 hours.

You can certainly drive at a leisurely pace over 2 or 3 days and get from one of the southern camps up to Gomo Gomo but as I said the main problem will be to find vacancies.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Hope you have a great trip.

Montreal
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Distance and your Expertise required!!

Thanks Somerset!

That helps a lot! Will work with your suggestions.

Greatly appreciate it!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
848 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Distance and your Expertise required!!

Be aware though that without overnight reservations at a camp you will only be given a day permit at the gate you enter, so it is essential to prebook in the Kruger.

Montreal
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Distance and your Expertise required!!

Didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know. Will prebook before going in.

Thanks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
359 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Distance and your Expertise required!!

Yes, please pre-book everything in Kruger. Agree with Somerset on Lower Sabie. It is a lovely camp to stay.

If you are having a hard time finding accommodations, consider Pretoriuskop and Skukuza instead. I am not the biggest fan of Skukuza because of its size but throwing it out there.

If anything inside Kruger does not pan out, consider staying in Hazyview. You can enter Kruger through the Phabeni Gate (12 kms).

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
167 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Distance and your Expertise required!!

All good advice. Just bear in mind that it's a long way to Kruger from Joburg in the first place (5-7 hours depending on which part you want to go to). And after driving for 6 hours sometimes the last thing you want to do is to try to get to your accommodation before the gates close (at sunset - note that the individual camps have gates as well) whilst keeping to the speed limit and stopping for animals. So I'd keep it simple and go to a close camp the first night. For example Berg-en-Dal is really simple to get to because the highway from Joburg almost takes you there. Then next day meander to Lower Sabie. Then one of more northern - western camps (depending on availability) to get you out to Gomo? But do not under-estimate how long it takes to cover distance in the park. I always do and regret it!

Enjoy!

7. Re: Driving Distance and your Expertise required!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 04:17