We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

soliciting some advice...

ahmadnagar...
Level Contributor
38 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
soliciting some advice...

family of 4[48, 44,16,13 yrs] from india. visiting SA in May 2013, for the first time, and on a budget conscious tour. after assimilating TA advices and a little bit of research, we have decided our 1st section of our RSA tour as: Joburg --> Blyde Canyon[1N] --> Kruger through Orpen Gate --> Satara Camp[2N] --> Letaba Camp[2N] --> through Orpen Gate Nelspruit -->Joburg. if need be, Blyde canyon can be covered after Kruger. WE WON'T BE SELF DRIVING. is this route & planning appropriate. suggestion & advices are needed. thanking in anticipation.

Mentioned in this post
Nelspruit
Nelspruit
Mpumalanga, South Africa
Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: soliciting some advice...

The route is fine but as you say you wont be self-driving how are you planning to get around. I can only presume you are booking a tour from Johannesburg to Kruger etc. If so, then you will probably be governed by the fixed route of whichever tour you book.

If not then if you could let us know a bit more about your mode of transport both to and from Johannesburg and how you plan to move around once in Kruger NP

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
ahmadnagar...
Level Contributor
38 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: soliciting some advice...

thanks for the response. our plan is : hire a (car+driver) from Joburg --> Blyde Canyon --> Satara Camp. Satara Camp --> Letaba Camp & all the Kruger Drives, use SANParks vehicles. Letaba camp --> Joburg, hire a (car+driver) back. depending upon the ground realities [costs & availability of such a facility], which could be an altogether different cup of tea, the plan will be modified or changed altogether. since i have a little time on hand, i want to get some advice / suggestions before taking a concrete decision.

Mentioned in this post
Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: soliciting some advice...

It would be feasible to hire a car + driver from Johannesburg but as far as I know you would need to keep your hire car plus driver for the whole of the trip. By this I mean if you just have car+driver from Johannesburg to say Hazyview (including Blyde River Canyon) You then have to get transport into Kruger NP and to Satara Camp. Once there yes you could book Sanpark game drives. Then you would have to get from Satara to Letaba and at the end of your stay from Letaba back out of the Park. Once out of the Park you then have to get a car+driver to take you back to Johannesburg.

Maybe somebody can come up with some ideas but the only way I can see is to hire a car + driver for the whole of your trip. This would be extremely expensive as you would have to pay not only for his time + car but also his accommodation en route.

May be better to try and book an inclusive tour from Johannesburg/panoramic Route/Kruger and back to Johannesburg.

Sorry I can't come up with a better idea.

good luck

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Hazyview
Hazyview
Mpumalanga, South Africa
Earth
Level Contributor
441 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: soliciting some advice...

While hiring a car + driver to tour India is a common choice for tourists, you will find that is not true in South Africa. Tourists either choose to self drive in Kruger National Park or they join a tour with a group thereby sharing the overall cost of transportation and benefiting from group bookings. Hiring a car + driver would be very expensive as others have noted.

Mentioned in this post
ahmadnagar...
Level Contributor
38 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: soliciting some advice...

thanks to both of you for your efforts. my research is also in progress and i am reaching to the same conclusion that it will be highly costly affair to hire a car+driver for the whole tour, negating our budget conscious efforts. the other option is of car+driver from Joburg to Kruger only and back. with that opens another point: do we get transport from Hazyview - Satara Camp, Inter- Camp transfer, Letaba Camp - Hazyview. do let me know your ideas / suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Hazyview
Hazyview
Mpumalanga, South Africa
Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: soliciting some advice...

You still have not answered WHY you would not be selfdriving. maybe that could be discussed.

Getting from JHB to Nelspruit can be done by several bus lines/coaches. The problem starts then, getting from Nelspruit to Hazyview.

There is one provider we know of, that offers scheduled transfers. If this is suitable is very much depending on your arrival and departure times.

Ask your accommodation provider, they should give you the appropriate information.

There are no means of transport between camps other than taking an outside operator to come in and fetch and drop you off. VERY expensive and one transfer will be the cost of at least 3 days car rental.

Keep in mind that Hazyview e.g. is NOT suitable without a car, except you are staying in one of the hotels that offer everything in-house or are right at one of the centres with restaurants and shops. You nevertheless miss out on a lot of opportunities, sightseeing, activities if not mobile (especially activities your kids may want to do)

If you are strictly against self-driving I also strongly recommend a guided (group) tour.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Edited: 03 September 2012, 14:27
Mentioned in this post
Nelspruit
Nelspruit
Mpumalanga, South Africa
Hazyview
Hazyview
Mpumalanga, South Africa
Johannesburg
Level Contributor
167 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: soliciting some advice...

Hi. I would say that - if you can legally drive, do it! You'll save a lot of money, it gives you a lot more independence and (compared to India - I have done both) it is a really easy country to drive in. Especially if you're flying to Joburg because you essentially leave the car hire car park and turn left and follow the highway for 5 hours and you're pretty much in Kruger! Once you've got used to the roads / driving you can come back via Blyde River etc. But if you can't drive, I think the only option is an organised tour which will be expensive. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,368 posts
6,201 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: soliciting some advice...

+1 on the self drive consideration. This is a fantastic way to see this part of the country, especially with your consideration for the Blyde River Canyon - Panorama Route drive. Self-drive is not only cheaper but its just a much more flexible and fun way to travel.

Edited: 04 September 2012, 07:44
ahmadnagar...
Level Contributor
38 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: soliciting some advice...

dear all, its my mistake that i m not self driving. i planned this whole tour keeping the base as driving in indian environment. in our environment, even if you drive at 40 kmph, you can do only one thing at a time. either drive or enjoy the environment, and i applied the same laws to africa. i do drive, i have an international driving license and i now i will start re-planning the whole thing accordingly. thanks to all for the eye-opener.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,368 posts
6,201 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: soliciting some advice...

You are certainly right. Driving in South Africa is nothing like driving in India, not even close. Self-drive will be very easy for you, if you drive in India.

Here is a review we put together for Kruger not long ago discussing the self-drive vs. private reserve experience. Have a read if useful.

Self-drive or private reserve

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g312633-d159…

Here is a link for self-driving the Panorama Route and Blyde River Canyon area. Have a read if useful.

Panorama Route

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i30411-Panorama…

Hope this is useful.

Mentioned in this post