We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kruger in 2nd week of January, 2013

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Kruger in 2nd week of January, 2013

Hi there,

I am planning a trip to Kruger National Park in the second week of January, 2013 with my

fiance. I live in Cape Town and have the following itinerary in mind. Please advice if this

makes sense. This would be my first trip to Kruger. Also, I am planning a 4 day, 3 night trip.

Day1:

Reach OR Tambo at morning 8:00 and then hire a car and head to Preoriouskop Rest camp.

Day2 & Day 3:

Travel to Lower Sabi Rest camp and dock there for 2 nights.

Day 4:

Leave Lower Sabie for JHB OR Tambo and take the night flight back to CT.

In both these camps I plan to stay in the 2 bed huts with aircon.

Please let me know if this sounds fine or if I can do it better keeping budget in mind.

Regards,

Abhik

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kruger in 2nd week of January, 2013

I would also like to ask that if I were to choose 2 camps to stay over 3-4 nights with Hut accomodation at300-400 ZAR per night then which to choose, especially in the southern part of the park.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kruger in 2nd week of January, 2013

I would split the time between Lower Sabie and Satara if you have 4 nights, otherwise stick to Lower Sabie.

I nevertheless do believe that you may already run into problems wrt availability, although the second week of January it starts quietening down.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kruger in 2nd week of January, 2013

Hi Klaus,

Thanks for the suggestion. I still see some free accom at Lower sabie.

My question now is, if I move on to Satara for 2 more days, then how can I plan my route back to JHB? By that I mean, would it be possible to just leave Satara in the morning and drive back to JHB without any breaks? As I would be the only one driving. I wouldn't want to stay more than 4 nights in Kruger.

Also, while coming in to Kruger, is it advisable to drive one stretch from JHB to Lower Sabie ?

Regards,

Abhik

Edited: 06 September 2012, 19:32
Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kruger in 2nd week of January, 2013

One stretch is not a problem. it will take you app. 5 hours to Lower Sabie.

From Satara it will be to far to drive back to JHB. You can easily add 2 hours to the driving time when leaving the park thru Orpen Gate.

One other possibility is to add one day in and around Hazyview for example, or Sabie, Graskop and spend a day, when leaving the park from Satara, exploring the Blyde River Canyon. World 3rd biggest canyon and worlds biggest green canyon with spots like the Bourcke's Luck Potholes, the 3 Rondavels, God's Window, The Pinnacle, various waterfalls. Something not to miss when in the area.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kruger in 2nd week of January, 2013

also have a look, there are direct flights from CT to Nelspruit, although expensive but it saves you time and the petrol (and extra km with a hired car)

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kruger in 2nd week of January, 2013

I do know about the flights from CPT to Nelspruit. But, they are almost double the price of CPT - JHB. And with that price I can rent a car and pay petrol and also save on 2K Rands. I hope I am not wrong.

If I stay at Lower Sabie for 2 nights, would you recommend Satara or Olifants for the next two and also considering the proximity to getting back to JHB?

Boston...
Level Contributor
359 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kruger in 2nd week of January, 2013

What if you drove first to Satara via Orpen Gate and then headed to Lower Sabie? This way, you can make the flight to Joburg.

Alternatively, you could split between Berg-en-dal and Lower Sabie. The Berg-en-dal area is quite nice and you can drive leisurely to Lower Sabie along the S25.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kruger in 2nd week of January, 2013

Hi All,

Thank you for your valuable advice on the previous itinerary.

Considering all the hassles of Transit to and fro JHB and also trying to maximize the time within the park, I have come up with another itinerary. Please advice if this feasible and would allow me a good and easy paced game viewing chance. I am thinking Satara might be a little far fetched for me.

Also Flying from Nelspruit to CPT is going to be very costly for me. So, I would like to fly from JHB instead.

Day 1: Leave From OR Tambo by 9:00 am and Enter Park through Pretoriouskop and camp there at night.

Day 2: Move to LS and camp there for 2 nights.

Day 4: Camp at Berg en Dal.

Day 5: Exit Begern Dal straight for OR Tambo for flight to CPT.

Regards,

Abhik

Boston...
Level Contributor
359 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kruger in 2nd week of January, 2013

This sounds very doable and makes sense.

From P'kop to LS, go via Skukuza. From LS to BnD, you can explore south of LS and meander back using the S25.

You will see various terrains this way.

Good luck and enjoy your first trip to Kruger. Get ready to be hooked.

Cheers!

10. Re: Kruger in 2nd week of January, 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2013, 10:15