We are psyched! My husband and I are planning a trip to South Africa (our first time in Africa) for this November (another couple may join us as well.) We realize that it is getting really late to book so we are trying to plan quickly.
Our questions are:
1. Is it advisable to stay all four nights at the same camp and do self drives (and night drives) from there each day? (A South African friend prefers this plan. - She advised that we stay at Skukuza all four nights.) Or, would it be better to move to a second camp for the final 2 nights? It seems like a hassle to move around, but we don’t want to miss out on different game and terrain.
2. If you advise moving to a second camp, which one would make a good partner to Skukuza? We were thinking of Satara, but it looks like a looooong drive. Also, is the travel time from Satarta back to JoBurg the same as from Skukuza (5 ½ hours)?
3. I realize this is mostly personal preference: But, most of the package tours we have seen offer only 3 nights/2days of safari. We were planning on 4 nights/3 days. Will this get dull?
4. What is a decent safe hotel at or near the airport in J-Burg?
5. Any other suggestions are welcome! Our current itinerary is below:
4 Days: Drive Route 62 to Kynsna and Surf, Dive, Hike, etc.
Last day in Kynsna - Fly from George to J-Burg & spend the night at airport hotel
Day 1 - Rent a car in J-Burg and drive from J-Burg to Kruger and check in to our lodge.
Day 2 – Safari - Self-Drive Mornings, Organized Night Tours
Day 3 – Safari - Self-Drive Mornings, Organized Night Tours
Day 4 – Safari - Self-Drive Morning, Pack and party!
Day 5 - Drive back to J-Burg and fly out that evening to Tampa.