We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanzania vs South Africa safari

New York, NY
Level Contributor
85 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Tanzania vs South Africa safari

I am planning a honeymoon for sept 2014, and want to go for two weeks, one week safari and the 2nd on the beachWe are trying to understand the differences between south Africa and Tanzania can you offer pros/cons of the two? We are on budget on or around 10k to 12k (excluding airfare). We would to maximize vaue while still getting a honeymoon experience. Where are places we Should consider? Looking for beach suggestions as well

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
535 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tanzania vs South Africa safari

Hi, I gave you some info on the TZ forum. PM me if you need more.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
649 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tanzania vs South Africa safari

Combine Kruger National Park with something like Rocktail beach - cannot beat that and in September both places should be great weather-wise.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,415 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tanzania vs South Africa safari

There are few similarities between safaris in the two countries. But after operating safaris in east Africa for 18 years, I can suggest you visit Kenya - not Tanzania - if you go to that part of Africa that time of year. The Serengeti in Tanzania has been grazed down to the dirt by the migrating herds as they moved north to Kenya. Most of the migration will be in and around the Masai Mara then (though this year, a lot if it was already edging back into northern Tanzania in September! - That's unusual)

For a honeymoon - I would use South Africa for safari - maybe Zanzibar for beach. There are flights from Johannesburg to Dar es Salaam.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,683 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tanzania vs South Africa safari

It's very easy to fly from Kenya (or Tanzania) to Zanzibar. Eg, From the Selous Reserve in southern Tanzania, it is two short, 30-minute, flights. I'm guessing the transfer from Kruger to Zanzibar, would be 3 flights of some 6 hours duration. Most of a day.

I would suggest you choose either southern or eastern Africa.

You have about a year to do your homework, so that gives you plenty of time to research the pros and cons of each region.

The safari experiences can be similar, but the countries are quite different.

I think you are buying the Safari Planner book. You need to decide what sort of experience you want - rustic, lodge, tent, exclusive, luxury? etc etc.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
649 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tanzania vs South Africa safari

If you want to maximise value as you have suggested, I would stick with one country for beach and bush.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,909 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tanzania vs South Africa safari

I suggest that as a first step you fix in your minds exactly what you want from your trip. If you want to visit a world class city (Cape Town), do some land-based whale-watching close to Cape Town, visit the wine country and stay at a lovely manor (which can be romantic), and safari at a premier venue (e.g., Sabi Sand in the Kruger region) then South Africa would work very well. If you remain set on safari and beach then East Africa (Kenya or Tanzania) would be a good bet. I'd say for some extra amenities (in-room AC, spa services) while on safari, South Africa's lodges have the edge in my opinion.

Once you have determined your destination then I think it makes sense to use the Safari Planner others have recommended to narrow down the places you want to visit and stay at.

The thing to remember is that whatever you choose it will be great.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
649 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tanzania vs South Africa safari

The original poster appears to be on a budget, so seeing as South Africa is a world in one country, I would suggest combining Kruger with the undeveloped beaches of the elephant coast, followed by Cape Town (after a relatively cheap internal flight from Durban - certainly cheaper than flying up to Mombasa or Nairobi)

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,561 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tanzania vs South Africa safari

I don't know about SA, but $6000 per person for a week's safari and a week on the beach is a pretty reasonable budget for Tanzania.

If that puts them in the "budget" category for SA, then I'd say Tanzania's going to be a better option. I've put my suggestions on the thread on the TZ branch.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tanzania vs South Africa safari

I would suggest that the OP thinks long and hard before considering a beach holiday in SA in September as winter gives way to spring. Indian Ocean it may be,warm and tropical it is not. Warmer waters are to be found in East Africa.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tanzania vs South Africa safari

Some Pro's and con's..

- Specific to safaris, the greatest and highest concentration of game wildlife you would find in Tanzania, and not in South Africa. This means more chances of seeing the best predator-prey interactions.

- Tanzania is well rounded safari destination. South Africa is well rounded tour destination. South Africa core experiences are not only safari experienced but the myriad of other experiences which makes the experiences other than safari far superior than any other african country. this includes whale watching in hermanus, shark diving, winelands visits, cape town - first class city - awesome food, fashion, shopping etc to the garden route tour experience. the service you would get in south africa is of the highest caliber.

- Tanzania offers a myriad of diverse safari destinations from chimpanzee safaris in gombe and mahale to offbeat experiences in katavi, selous and ruaha. South Africa offers more off conservation based game reserves such as phinda and many other private game areas converted from farm land and populated with wildlife.

- Extend out to Zanzibar off the coast of Tanzania for beach - warm indian ocean waters - great food, swahili culture and beaches are spectacular so is the snorkeling and diving. Cape Town is not a beach destination but a coastal experience. Head out Durban for a beach experience not at the authentic level of Zanzibar. Actually South African come to Zanzibar for the beach experience - there is low cost flight that arrives from Joburg once a week to cater to SA beach market. Other options close to Zanzibar is Pemba Island - Fundu Lagoon is popular with honeymooners and an ideal place to stay.

- If heading to Tanzania in Sep and visiting Serengeti, head out northern or mara region of serengeti in Sep as it would offer a better migration viewing experience. Kenya's Mara is another option in Sep but expect higher density of guests during its peak season

All the best with your honeymoon planning and congrats too.

Visram

AfricanMecca Safaris