We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rest Stops in the Kruger

portsmouth uk
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Rest Stops in the Kruger

I have learned a lot from this amazing forum - I guess I need to learn how to phrase a question though as have had no replies to my first posting! I am wondering how visitors cope with the need for toilet breaks when dring through the Kruger? I assume it's not a good idea to hide behind a tree, so are there plenty of facilities around? Can anyone please advise me on this delicate matter?

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rest Stops in the Kruger

I am sure there are people much more familiar with Kruger than me, Lamlee for example obviously spends a lot of time there so maybe can help. However, I have been in for self-drive days on a number of occasions. The only toilet facilities I am aware of are at the entrance gates and in the main Rest Camps. Depends on which area you are going, I have only been in the south through Paul Kruger, Numbi and Melalane Gates. In this area it is a case of planning your route. "Go" at the Gate when you are entering, then there is normally about 50 Kms between main camps, so plan a route that will take you near one of them with 4 - 5 hours (Or whenever you feel you many need the facility.) We have never found it a problem, just a bit of forward planning. You will get a map showing the roads and camps etc when you enter. Bear in mind that if you are anything like us you are constantly stopping to see yet another magical sighting of animals/birds, so progress is usually very slow and there is also a strict speed limit within Kruger. Might sound a bit daunting but it isn't at all - just a wonderful experience. Enjoy!

portsmouth uk
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rest Stops in the Kruger

Many thanks somersetal - just what I needed to know!

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rest Stops in the Kruger

you gotta be a little careful in the way out stops (i.e. not enclosed loos like by hides etc.) i got bitten by a swarm of wasps once using one of those.