We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 days Kruger in March - Choosing a good route & camps?

Berlin
Level Contributor
12 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
9 days Kruger in March - Choosing a good route & camps?

Hello,

first of all a happy new year to you all! We are going to a SA-Safari trip in March. Our route: Arriving at Nelspruit Airport at 1 pm, the pick up of a rental car. Then we will drive directly to Kruger, entering via Malelane Gate.

In Kruger we'd like to do the following tour but are not totally sure if that makes sense:

2 nights Biyamiti

2 nights Lower Sabie (or is one night enough?)

2 nights Olifanfts or Letaba (which one do you prefer?)

1 night Talamati

2 nights Nottens Bush Camp as a highlight at the end.

After that we like to relax for three nights in a nice B&B in the Lowveld to enjoy Blyde River Canyon etc.

What do you think about that route? Are this too many camps we visit, is less more? If yes, how would you make it?

We are hardcore wildlife enthusiasts, hope to see a good variety of animals (not only Big5!) and love to take time while travelling.

Thank you so much for your comments and best regards!

Alex

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 days Kruger in March - Choosing a good route & camps?

Hi,

Check out the post "Sanparks accommodation help" to which I also responded.

Yes, less is more and I am of the opinion you are trying to fit in too many camps and cover too big traveling wise. For instance Lower Sabie to Olifants is some 6 hours straight traveling excluding time spent stopping for game sightings, toilet stops/lunch/picnic. Letaba is even further. I would imaging you would rather first stay at Talamati before tripping up to Olifants.

Personally I would at least stay 2 nights at one camp. You need to relax otherwise you are constantly unpacking and packing. Enjoy the atmosphere at the camps. Take it easy. Go out for early morning drives and again late afternoon. Return to the camp during mid day heat. You don't want to just be driving around the entire day.

W

Paris, France
Level Contributor
851 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 days Kruger in March - Choosing a good route & camps?

To help with cutting down on the distance between camps i would cut out Biyamati replacing it with Satara. We have always found that in Feb/March it is the very best area for animal sightings, also we appreciate the big swimming pool there on the hot days. Try and get a perimeter bunglow there.

Boston...
Level Contributor
359 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 days Kruger in March - Choosing a good route & camps?

I agree with the posting about not moving around too much and enjoying a camp for 2 nights or longer.

You may want to consider spending 3 nights at Lower Sabie, 3-4 nights at Satara and the remainder at Nottens.

Between Lower Sabie and Satara your options for exploring various roads/areas will improve your chances of good sightings.

Where you end up staying may also be dictated by availability of accommodations in the Park.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Heeten, Owner, Swagat at Kruger Park Lodge

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 days Kruger in March - Choosing a good route & camps?

I don't mind changing camps every couple of days but there again we travel very light so it doesn't take much to get on the move. I personally would not want to spend 4 nights in one place. neither do we mind long distances between camps. We just adopt a game drive approach! we are planning to drive the length of the Kruger in July and will not be staying more than one or two nights in any one place. Variety is the spice of life . . .

Berlin
Level Contributor
12 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 days Kruger in March - Choosing a good route & camps?

Hi everybody!

thank you so much for the replys so far. This helps for further planning.

Indeed we do not want to hurry. Changing camps too often is not our thing, so we would agree with Willem. On the other hand we want to enjoy different areas of the park.

So if we start at Biyamiti, then head to Lower Sabie and then to Satara (or Talamati) and stay for a minimum of two nights in each camp - recommended or not? Still unsure if Lower Sabie and Satara are a good combination...

PS: The Biyamiti Camp is something mandatory for us, because it seems to be smaller, more intimate (not that many day visitors in this area) and the landscape in the west seems to be different (hilly).

Best

Alex

Boston...
Level Contributor
359 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 days Kruger in March - Choosing a good route & camps?

Given your preference for Biyamiti (and I agree with you on the intimate feel), then I would suggest this:

3 nights Biyamiti

2 nights at Talamati

2 nights in Satara

I suggest this because your stay at Biyamiti will allow you to explore the areas close to Lower Sabie. You can make day trips to Lower Sabie and have lunch there by the water.

Talamati allows you access to those dirt roads adjoining the concessions.

Satara lets you explore the Satara-Olifants area and the Lebombo area.

Cheers,

Heeten

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 days Kruger in March - Choosing a good route & camps?

What dates are you going in March? Avoid Easter holidays at all costs. At any rate availability at the end of March would be almost non-existent at that time. For the rest of March you need to book Biyamiti ASAP all you will likely miss out.

I agree with choice of camps advised by Heeten above.

Berlin
Level Contributor
12 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 9 days Kruger in March - Choosing a good route & camps?

Great, thanks. The choice of camps is what we try to book now.

We are going in the first half of March, avoiding the Easter crowds ;-)

9. Re: 9 days Kruger in March - Choosing a good route & camps?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Kruger National Park