We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly SAA or Federal Air from J'burg for Safari?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Fly SAA or Federal Air from J'burg for Safari?

Hi,

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it's better to fly SAA from J'burg then road transfer for 2hrs to lodge in Sabi Sands or if we should fly Federal Air?

Federal Air sounds more direct but flying a little cessna plane makes me a bit nervous! appreciate any thoughts from those that have flown on both.

TIA!

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly SAA or Federal Air from J'burg for Safari?

Federal Air operations are very safe and i recommend this option... the 2 hours transfer is mostly on sand roads and why waste time driving in a car. They are an excellent operator and i have never had any complaints from my guests.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
809 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly SAA or Federal Air from J'burg for Safari?

Another thumbs up for Federal Air. Its great fun flying in a Cessna!

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly SAA or Federal Air from J'burg for Safari?

............another vote of confidence in Fedair!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
162 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly SAA or Federal Air from J'burg for Safari?

Another vote for FedAir - Have flown with them several times, on various planes from a Cessna to a 20-seater, and no problems with any flights.

Why waste time on the journey when you can maximise your time on safari instead?

Portland, Or
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly SAA or Federal Air from J'burg for Safari?

Remember that Federal Air has a smaller baggage policy. According to their website in there terms and conditions, they state:

Only soft bags / suitcases may be accepted.

 Maximum baggage allowance 20 kilograms, hand luggage included, excess luggage will be carried if space permits and charged for.

But they also say, which is kind of confusing is:

You are permitted one (1) standard piece of hand baggage (max 5 kg) and one piece of standard checked—in hold baggage to be soft sided bags ONLY at a maximum of 20kg.

For excess baggage each additional kilogram may be charged for at our standard rate subject to space and / or weight availability.imit In addition, you may carry on board a handbag, clutch bag, coats, umbrellas, laptop computers and small items of camera equipment.

Seems like their language could be clearer, but if you think your're going to be over these limits you may want to contact the company.

Mytmoss
Level Contributor
432 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly SAA or Federal Air from J'burg for Safari?

I have flown Fedair at least 20 times and I have had no issues with them. As for the luggage policy, things have changed a lot recently and you do not need to worry about excess luggage. I posted here a little over a month ago about their new allowances.

Mike

7. Re: Fly SAA or Federal Air from J'burg for Safari?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 07:18