We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to KNP

Frankfurt Main
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to KNP

From which gate should I drive to Satara Lodge from Grasskop and from Lower Sabi Lodge to J'burg ?

Thanks

Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to KNP

The nearest gate to Satara Camp is Orpen. The nearst exit gate to Lower Sabie is Crocodile Bridge.

A lot would depend on what time you have to arrive at Johannesburg. If you have lots of time you could make a "game drive" of it by leaving Lower Sabie and driving to Malelane Gate. Always more interesting driving through Kruger than driving along the N4 but as I say, depends how much time you have available.

Boston...
Level Contributor
359 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to KNP

Hi there,

A lot depends on what time you leave. My suggestion would be to enter early from the Phabeni Gate and spend the day on self-drive safari via Skukuza and onward to Satara. Stop at Skukuza and Tshokwane Picnic sites for breaks. The distance is 130kms from Phabeni Gate (R536) to Satara....this would take me about 6 hours.

From Lower Sabie, once again depending on time, either leave from Crocodile Bridge or Malelane (if you have more time).

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Heeten, Swagat at Kruger Park Lodge, Hazyview & Boston

Frankfurt Main
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to KNP

Hi there,

We have enough time, our plan is to drive from J’burg to Grasskop and stay here for 2 nights. From Grasskop to Satara ( 2 nights) - skukuza (2 nights) - Lower Sabi (2 nights) & drive back to J’burg.

At what time we should leave Lower Sabie Lodge so that we can have a ''game drive'' to Malelane Gate and still arrive J’burg before it gets dark ?

Thanks

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to KNP

Lower Sabie to Malelane could take up to four hours (average 25kph) then 4-5 hours to Johannesburg. I would just leave from Lower Sabie as soon as gates open.

Frankfurt Main
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to KNP

How long is the drive from Grasskop to Orpen gate ?

Thanks

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,962 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to KNP

I would say maybe 90 minutes.. You take the R533 down to the R40. Stay on the R40 past the turnoff to Acornhoek for a few miles - and then turn east to Orpen Gate. It's R531, and there's a sign there showing you where to turn. Says: R531 Orpen. Don't go through Acornhoek. Most important: Watch your speed. The area is known for the speed cameras.

Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to KNP

Regarding journey from Lower Sabie via Malelane Gate then on to Johannesburg. I agree with tryhard (#4) about the drive from Lower Sabie to Malelane Gate at around 4 hours (like tryhard, I calculate travelling time within Kruger at 25 kph). I accept we all drive differently but I don't think, having already been driving for 4 hours to get to the gate, I would try and make it to Johannesburg in 4-5 hours. Distance from Malelane to Johannesburg is around 420 km so to make it even in 5 hours you would have to average 80 kph all the way, non-stop. Personally I would be looking for a couple of stops for a bite to eat and toilet break, it can take a while to get through Nelspruit and of course once you get to the outskirts of Johannesburg you will be travelling much slower, I would be thinking more like 6-7 hours. Still quite doable if you leave when the gates open (05.30 - 06.00 depending on the time of year) and of course this is probably the best time for some good sightings.

Have great trip.

Frankfurt Main
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to KNP

I'd like to thank all of you for your great advice !

9. Re: Driving to KNP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2014, 06:19