We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegans in Kruger

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Vegans in Kruger

Hi,

We will be traveling to South Africa this September, and looking for some vegan advice.

We will spend 10 days at Kruger, and eager to get some info on the vegan options - Are there any vegan options at the camps' restaurants/cafeteria ? Can we buy the required grocery at the camp's shops? Mainly fresh vegetables, lentils, rice and so on (not expecting to find tofu or seitan). We will be staying at self-catering bungalows in : Letaba, Olifants, Satara, Skukuza & Crocodile Bridge.

BTW, vegan - means that we don't eat meat of any kind (including chicken or fish), nor dairy products, or eggs. We DO eat lots of vegetables, lentils, peas, rice, wheat etc.

Thank you

- Tamir

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegans in Kruger

I suggest you do your shopping outside, before entering KNP, at one of the supermarkets.

The choice at the park shops is rather limited, especially when it come to fresh products.

The restaurants menu also will not last you thru 10 days with vegan menus.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegans in Kruger

Forget the restaurants about the ONLY thing you will be able to eat would be a salad or fries. We are vegetarian and the restaurant menus are extremely limited for vegetarians let alone vegans. They are also not very healthy in general. Take Klaus' advice - do all your shopping outside. The choice of fresh fruit and vegetables and pulses in KNP is very limited. Have a great stay.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegans in Kruger

I assume you are travelling as per your OP, from Letaba via Olifants/Satara/Skukuza to Crocodile Bridge.

If you run out of products after the first 3 camps. you could easily shop in Hazyview when staying at Skukuza. Also from Crocodile Bridge it's pretty close to shops outside.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegans in Kruger

Agree its definitely best to get as much as you can outside the park.

We find from Olifants and Letaba the Spar supermarket at Phalaborwa is excellent for supplies, and right outside the gate.

BTW a great selection of camps you are staying in, enjoy!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegans in Kruger

Thanks everybody for your answers!

The bottom line is we need to stock up as much as we can outside Kruger.

I guess we should bring bigger cool box than we thought.

Thanks,

- Tamir

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegans in Kruger

Hi Tamir

Yes you need as much cool box space as you can manage, even just for when you are driving around during the day, going between camps and so on.

Once you get to your first camp you will get an idea of what the shops stock and will soon realise what you need to get outside, but do remember the bigger the camp, the bigger the shops. For example there will be more variety at Skukuza than Crocodile Bridge.

I would also suggest you post the same question on the Sanparks forum...

www.sanparks.org/forums/viewforum.php…

You have probably already been to the website but have a browse through the forums. The people there are incredibly helpful and I am sure there will be many vegans. What they don't know there isn't worth knowing!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegans in Kruger

That's a good idea,

I will post the question there as well,

Thanks,

- Tamir.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
708 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegans in Kruger

You should have a frdige/freezer at your bungalow. Fill some empt bottles, put them a night in the freezer and with a (multiple) coolbags you should be good when moving from 1 location to another (coolbags are not so bulky as a coolbox.

Indeed, buy everything (and some extra) outside the park. This to prevent you having to drive in/out to restock.

I would also visit 2 different (the bigger the better) supermarkets. They assortment can vary.

9. Re: Vegans in Kruger

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2014, 07:18