We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation question for 2014 trip

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
405 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation question for 2014 trip

Thanks in advance for advice. I am in the beginning stages of planning for 1 week in the Kruger area. Landing in Jo'burg from US and will drive to Kruger. Finding luxury-type all inclusives for our first three days is not hard to do because there are so many good ones, but I want to self-drive the other days and I definitely do not like the looks of the parks self-catering stops. Not at the time in my life where roughing it is appealing. I am picky about my bed and updated rooms. So, my question after lurking for a bit is, are the places to stay self-catering or not, that do not include the safari trips so we can self-drive? I see Toro Yaka Bush Lodge does not include safari trips in the price, but I believe we can not self-drive there. Any suggestions inside or out of the park? Thanks

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation question for 2014 trip

I am not able to help you with more upmarket accommodation inside KNP where you dont have an all inclusive package. Maybe someone else can. The private reserves do not allow self-drives,

The sanpark camps are not THAT bad at all. Usually clean and for the few hours sleep sufficient. Usually the bushveld camps are of good quality wrt accommodation.

Alternatively you could do as many others do, look at a nice accommodation outside KNP, close to one of the gates and do self-drives from there. It also allows you to explore the area around KNP, Blyde River Canyon (world's third biggest canyon and world's biggest green canyon), Panorama Route, waterfalls, God's Window, The three Rondavels, Bourck's Luck Potholes etc etc etc.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation question for 2014 trip

The KNP camps are not what I would call roughing it but hey ho each to their own I guess. All main camps have a restaurant so you do not need to self cater if you would prefer not to. Your best bet would probably be to take the suggestion above and stay outside at a B&B and drive in. I believe the few lodges inside Kruger are all offering inclusive packages.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation question for 2014 trip

We spent two nights at the Protea Hotel Kruger Gate, which is just outside of the Paul Kruger gate. It is so close, you can walk to the gate from the hotel. It is a very nice hotel. Check it out.

We also spent two nights inside the park at the rest camps.

One night at the Oliphants camp, and one night at the Skukuza camp. While they were not luxurious, they were clean and comfortable, with hot showers and running water. I would not consider them roughing it. I don't like roughing it either.

Also, the camps have restaurants. We were quite happy with our dinner and breakfast meals. And they were not expensive either.

We then spent 3 nights at the Londolozi private lodge, which was fabulous. You can not self drive in the private lodges, but that's the whole idea, they do all the driving and the work, and we sit back and enjoy.

If you just can't bring yourself to stay at the rest camps, then perhaps you can stay at the Protea Hotel Kruger Gate and enter the park everyday for the self drive. Protea Hotel was indeed nicer than the rest camps. I think Protea is a 4 star hotel. But we thought the rest camps were fine too.

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
405 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation question for 2014 trip

I think I need to look outside the park also. Any suggestions for good places near a gate?

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
405 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation question for 2014 trip

Thanks for the suggestion Will look at Protea. Sorry, to me roughing it is staying in old, out-dated places. Just one of my idiosyncrasies. They all look like the camps I went to when I was a kid.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,780 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation question for 2014 trip

Hi There

Wonderful you have decided to experience a self drive in Kruger. We do regularly stay in the Sanparks bungalows and I agree with others it is hardly roughing it, we are well past that stage too and do not camp. You certainly do not have to cater, there are restaurants in most of the main camps.

Yes the bungalows are basic but they are clean and serviced daily and our attitude is that the somewhat quaint and quirky accommodation is all part of the fun of the trip, we can stay in hotels anywhere in the world and they pretty much all look the same, whereas there is nothing else in the world quite like staying right inside Kruger Park, listening to the lions roaring and hippos grunting in the night.

But each to their own and yes if you would rather then you are best to stay in a hotel near one of the park gates. Just remember you will need to finish game viewing earlier as you must allow plenty of time to get to the gates when you leave, otherwise you will be locked in and up for a fine. Same in the mornings, allow time to be at the park gates by opening time, as this is the prime game viewing hour and again you will have need travel time into the park.

Enjoy!

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation question for 2014 trip

If staying for one week, I would suggest to go closer to one of the towns/villages around along the borders. With the Protea Hotel you are bound to the Hotel as it is 45 km drive to the next town, Hazyview in this case, with lots of good and very good restaurants, activities from A-Z and close to the Panorama Route, From Hazyview the closest Gate is the Phabeni Gate with 10-15 minutes drive from your accommodation,

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,780 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation question for 2014 trip

Hello again

In fact further to the last post I would suggest having a look at this option in Hazyview, I feel it could be somewhere you would enjoy a stay, luxurious and reasonably priced.

http://www.abangane.com/

9. Re: Accommodation question for 2014 trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 August 2013, 00:35
10. Re: Accommodation question for 2014 trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2014, 06:21