We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most luxurious accommodations for self-drive safari?

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Most luxurious accommodations for self-drive safari?

I've got my heart set on doing a self-drive safari in Kruger. Given that limitation, can someone suggest the most luxurious accommodations within the park that allow for self-drive safaris?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,810 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most luxurious accommodations for self-drive safari?

If you want to stay in KNP and self-drive, see the link below for options.

http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/camps/

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most luxurious accommodations for self-drive safari?

Difficult call I think, due to the self-drive option.

Have a look at the Guesthouses. They definitely are of higher standard then any of the bungalows. The minimum rate is 4 people.

We love the Nshawu Guest House in Olifants.

If the accommodation inside the park does not match your expectation, you could also look at guesthouses/lodges close to any of the gates outside and drive in from there. A lot of people prefer that due to the standard of accommodation and restaurants available.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Edited: 09 September 2013, 22:06
South Africa
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most luxurious accommodations for self-drive safari?

Skukuza has some luxury riverside bungalows which are nice. And I agree with Klaus about the guesthouses, although usually these are fully booked long in advance, and best suited for larger groups (4 to 12 people, depending on the guest house). If you don't want to self-cater, there are some luxury private game lodges in Kruger that also allow you to stay there and do your own self-drive game drives if you wish (although the price you pay would include the lodge's own open vehicle game drives, in case you wanted to join those). Examples include Rhino Post, Jock Safari Lodge, Imbali Safari Lodge, and perhaps Lion Sands Tinga or Narina Lodge.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most luxurious accommodations for self-drive safari?

None of the Sanparks lodges are what I would call luxurious although some are better than others.

However I would encourage you not to pass up a self drive in Kruger because of this, there is no experience like it and it would be a shame to miss out, it’s just not the same staying outside the park. Like many we stay for weeks at a time and its wonderful.

The lodgings are basic but they are clean and serviced daily and really are part of the experience. Kruger is the peoples park and the camps allow people on different budgets to still enjoy it, if you can pass up on some luxury for a few days it is well worth it, you really only sleep and shower in the room in anyway. You do not have to cook, there are restaurants in all the main camps.

With what you save by staying with Sanparks, maybe you could stay in a private lodge after your self drive, that’s what we do and you get to experience the best of both worlds.

5. Re: Most luxurious accommodations for self-drive safari?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2014, 05:17