We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Help!!

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
139 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Please Help!!

Hii!!

We will be visiting Kruger in September.

Our prime aim is to sport the BIG 5!

We are dividing Kruger:- 2 days in SAN Park and 2 days in any Private Game Reserve, (which will add more variations and more economic)

Now since North and South Kruger has different flora and fauna, we will try to shuffle the 2 destinations in between North and South Kruger, say like 2 days in Olfants and 2 days in Sabi Sands, or 2 days in Lower Sabie and 2 days in Balule.

Please let me know if it is a good idea or not?, and also please help me know which will be the best combination to spot all the BIG 5 (though I know it depends on luck), in September?

Cheers!!!

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Help!!

Hello, your idea is perfect. You already know that nothing is every guaranteed. Animals are not on call to appear when we would like them to. However, certain areas have better big5 sightings than others. The Sabie Sand is excellent for sightings. Also the southern Kruger - generally - has better sightings of all the Big 5. I saw them on one occasion arrived at 6am and by 12pm had seen them all. Other times, you can go for 3 days and not see them all. so as you rightly say, it depends a lot on luck. Personally, i have stayed in Balule, many many times and have had good game sightings.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
139 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Help!!

Thank you Lyn M for your reply.

So, depending on September climate and accommodation ease, may you please suggest which one will be better camps to sight BIG 5!

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Help!!

Hello, personally, i would do Lower sabie and Balule. The camp is Balule is small and does not have the facilities of the larger camps. But it is precisely the positioning of the camp which is very close to a large river, that has many animals moving through the area. Birdlife is prolific and hippos and crocodiles are many. So are animals that are coming down to drink water, which means that predators will always be around. But, as you know, you have to be waiting at the gate at 5.30am to leave the camp at first light because that is when you see leopard marking their territories and lions settling in for the day to have a sleep. The middle of the day is when you go back to camp, have lunch and a snooze, then head out when it cools down coming back at 6.30 when the gates close and you are locked in the camp for the night.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
332 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Help!!

I think if you combine the trip in Sanpark and then in a Private Game Reserve you will have a good opportunity to spot the Big 5. In the Private Game Reserve the open vehicle game drives are allowed to go off road and follow the animals. Better opportunity to see the Big 5. Most of the time we were lucky in the Private Game Reserves.

All the best

Agnes

Felleng Tours

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,031 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please Help!!

Hi Adhiraj

Firstly have you seen my reply to your last post ??

And how long is your total stay, only four days?

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
139 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please Help!!

Thank You Lyn M.

I was also thinking of the same combination, Lower Sabie and Balule. Thank you making me more confident.

Thank You Felleng for the reply.

Thasandmans, I was craving for such detailed information, you have provided in my previous post. Thank you sooo much providing it. I know 4 days are short span of time. But really we have a time constraint.

Guys, may you please let me know, if there are Game drives in Lower Sabie. I have seen in the website of SANPARKS that lower Sabie provides tours. Are the tours booked from the rest camps itself? or will it be better to rent a car for self drive there and get a guide?

Cheers!!!

7. Re: Please Help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Kruger National Park