We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend safari from Cape Town for 1 person

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
189 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend safari from Cape Town for 1 person

Hi,

What is the best option for 1 person coming from Cape Town who is interested in both a driving and walking safari in January, but doesn't drive? Can you recommend budget options that are easily accessible to the Kruger International Airport and include airport transfers? If there is a company that includes flights as well, even better. Interested in a 3-4 night trip options.

Thanks!

Outlook Safaris
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Vula Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend safari from Cape Town for 1 person

I also found a direct flight from Cape Town to Hoedspruit if there are any recommendations of good budget lodges/camps that provide free transportation from/to that airport.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,040 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend safari from Cape Town for 1 person

I just spent time at nThambo..www.nThambo.com - and really liked it. Ranger Kevin and Tracker Isaack are as good as it gets in what they bring to the experience. Game drives were good, with 4 of the Big 5 in the two days we were there. Tents (up high on platforms) are really comfortable, wildlife comes through the camp regularly. And.. there's no single supplement. And.. transfers from and back to Hoedspruit airport are complimentary. I think this would fit your requirements precisely.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend safari from Cape Town for 1 person

Thank you. I saw you recommend this in another post and it was top of the list. Thanks for confirming!

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend safari from Cape Town for 1 person

Hi Smartcooki,

Can only confirm what Dave has said - really amazing lodge, with an all around 10/10 experience.

However - the transfers are not included for 2014, but I think they are only around R100-R150 each way.

Warm regards

Jacqui

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,040 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend safari from Cape Town for 1 person

Thanks, Jacqui.. I drove myself, so didn't need transfers.. Their 2014 Rates on their web site still say transfers are included:

"..Rates include all meals, game walks & drives, teas & coffees, return road transfers ex Hoedspruit/Eastgate Airport..."

Maybe Courtney (the owner) mentioned the change in transfers and I forgot. Happens a lot these days.. hahaha..

Edited: 16 November 2013, 22:25
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend safari from Cape Town for 1 person

Hi smartcooki,

Nthambo is a great option to consider. Simbavati River Lodge in the Timbavati also offers comp return transfers to/from Eastgate Airport in Hoedspruit, and although a bit more expensive than Nthambo is worth looking at. 2 other options worth considering are Shindzela in the Timbavati and Gomo Gomo in Klaserie, and although they don't offer comp transfers, they are so well priced that even with added transfers, they will still be competitive.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend safari from Cape Town for 1 person

I'm in touch with nTambo and transfers are included in 2014. They changed it for Africa on Foot it seems and are charging 150 rand each way for that lodge.

Gomo Gomo has a single supplement of 600 it seems, but will consider as well. Leaning towards nTambo.

Edited: 18 November 2013, 20:00
8. Re: Weekend safari from Cape Town for 1 person

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 06:20