We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private reserves fenced?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
49 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Private reserves fenced?

I have read a few reviews suggesting that some reserves have fences, and you run into them on a drive sometimes. In fact, I saw a website and it seems to list almost every reserve around Kruger. When I search for fences around Kruger, results come up mainly on the removal of fences between private reserves and Kruger National Park so they roam "free". Wait a minute...ok, but how about animals being able to leave private reserves? This is my concern about choosing Kruger over the Serengeti, for instance. I am concerned about what some say is a bit of a manmade set up, even if well intentioned for "conservation" sake of the animals.

Any private reserves that are not fenced at all and also not associated with hunting?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,918 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Private reserves fenced?

I am by no means an expert, but just came back from Kruger and Chobe a month ago. I have not seen any indication of a fence anywhere (except near the lodges).

Don't forget one major difference between these NP's and zoos and managed wild animal parks is that, they don't feed the animals here. At zoos and wild animal parks they do feed the animals.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,094 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Private reserves fenced?

Very true and well said. Not only do they feed the animals, but they also provide veterinary treatment, which in the wild parks is generally not done unless the problem is caused by humans, such as snares [with the exception of a recent famous incident in the Serengeti].

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,094 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Private reserves fenced?

''Leaning toward the Serengeti now as I prefer vast openness where animals freely roam''

This kind of behavior thanks to tourist demands has unfortunately spiraled out of control, packs of vehicles are regularly blocking the escape routes of prey…

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2623388/The-tou…

44. Re: Private reserves fenced?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 June 2014, 15:35
Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,094 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Private reserves fenced?

Michael

Once again please refrain from heavily promoting the areas and lodges that are the ones that you sell and are affiliated with.

''the Sabi Sands where leopard are seen regularly, often every day.''

I hate to tell you but have seen leopard in other reserves every day also.

''Areas such as the northern Sabi Sands have restricted entry available only to the guests of the safari lodges located there''

Promoting your favorite lodge once again?

'' This means very few people sharing the safari experience with you in an area commonly regarded as one of the very best on the planet.''

Have addressed this outrageous statement in your other promotional post.

''Hunting is never allowed within the reserves attached to the Greater Kruger, the same conservation policies that are in place inside the park are the rule in every nearby reserve.''

Sorry not true either.

Note the other new poster who also just arrived on this forum advertising your company has been removed.

Apart from promoting being against TA rules, a more balanced view and less selective comments would give you much more credibility.

Edited: 01 June 2014, 14:58
Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Private reserves fenced?

The Kruger area, a combination of govt and pvt regions, offers the visitor just about everything. The conservancy contains high game numbers and excellent cross section of species along with plenty variety of terrain and bush types. You can mix and match yr accom from camping through to 5 star lodges with numerous options in between. You can self drive in govt area and have guided drives/walks in both. You can choose a trip that suits yr preferences and yr budget. Okavonga delta/Chobe NP also contain good numbers/variety of animals. But options available are far fewer than those at Kruger.

imo don't let the issue of a boundary fence be the over-riding factor in yr decision. Kruger area is popular because it offers so much to the enthusiast.

Leipzig, Germany
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
47. Re: Private reserves fenced?

Thanks the sandmans for the link with the incredible pictures (post 43)

Seems that the annoying number of tourist vehicles and the bothersome behaviour of their drivers

had spoiled the lions' appetite.

One more reason to prefer self drives.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,094 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Private reserves fenced?

Excellent advice from MGM, it is just a shame so many people do not realize just how many options they do have, to suit so many budgets. Perfectly illustrated by post 44.

You are welcome Aanob, pretty shocking isn’t it. There are unfortunately many 'jeep jockeys ' out there doing the wrong thing, and damaging the reputation of the majority who I am sure do the right thing, and it’s the same in SA. So sad for those animals.

Yep self drive all the way, not that you don’t get the odd bit of bad behavior there, although again it is in the minority.

Kruger is already setting quotas, by those photos does not look like that’s happening in East Africa!

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,918 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Private reserves fenced?

I don't know how self drive is going to solve this issue. If everyone in those photos self drive, you'd end up with twice as many cars.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Private reserves fenced?

Trying to find the exact size of Kruger is not straightforward. Wikipedia sez KNP t reaches 360km in length at maximum points but other sites say 350km. I couldn't determine whether size of area quoted include all the pvt areas. I discovered a new pvt game reserve has recently been added onto Kruger. It is south of the crocodile river and are 4,000ha in size. The KNP fence has been pulled down and rebuilt so it encloses this GR south of c.river in area. Siyabona site says ultimate aim is to make the Kruger area along with Transfrontier Limpopo in Moz and Gonerazhou in Zim PLUS other adjoining land and create a single fenceless area totalling just under 100,000 sq kms!! But scheme has stalled and fence along Moz border being re-erected. Either way it's a big place!