We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not sure were to start with Kruger ???

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Not sure were to start with Kruger ???

Hello there, I wonder if anyone can help.

Myself and my wife are hoping (fingers crossed) to head over to SA this year to visit Kruger park. However I am getting confused with regards places to stay? Am I right thinking that there is both private hotels/lodges and government run ones (sanparks???) at the park?

Also are any of these actually in the Park or are they all on the outskirts? The ones on Expedia seem every expensive so what I was hoping to do was stay on the outskirts of the park and go in as much as we could. I seen there are rates on sanparks website for self catering cottages but im not sure if these are daily rates or weekly? And it doesn’t say how close to the park these are?

If you can stay outside the park and rent a car, can you drive though the park as much as you like for a set fee? Is this a daily cost (something about conservation fee?) or a weekly? or do you always have to go into the park with guided tours?

Is it also worth planning to stay in different areas of the park? Say a few days north and a few days south to see a variety of animals? Or can you just base yourself at one camp and drive as much as you can to see all the wildlife

And finally is it safe to drive from J'burg airport to the park or would people recommend a bus transfere. Although I ‘m from Scotland I have travelled a fair bit so im not completely useless :) but i understand its a long drive

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not sure were to start with Kruger ???

Just some few points to your question as planning help:

The sanpark camps are all inside Kruger National Park (KNP) and the rates are normally VERY reasonable daily rates for a bungalow (see minimum rate)

The expensive ones you are referring to are either the few private reserves inside KNP or inside one of the private reserves bordering KNP (normally all inclusive!)

You can stay outside the park and do daily drives. The conservation fee is R248.00 per person per day

You can self-drive very easily, or take part in guided tours

The drive from JHB to KNP is around 4,5 hours and very safe

To stay in different camps and areas inside KNP is advisable but very much depending on the duration of your planned stay

I hope this helps a bit for further detailed planning on your side and to then come back with more specific questions.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Edited: 03 January 2014, 13:17
Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not sure were to start with Kruger ???

and, BTW, there is no need to make use of Expedia or any other third party booking engine with a limited choice of establishments and a minimum amount of information (that's where your confusion comes from). Use TA as your information pool and make your own bookings.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,131 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not sure were to start with Kruger ???

A few options:

All inclusive safari in a private lodge, game drives and full board. Rangers show you around. Expensive, but once in a lifetime experience. There many lodges on different reserves, the top of the bunch would be Sabi Sand.

Stay in the government run camps inside the national park, exclusively bookable with sanpark.

Stay outside the national park, and take tours or self drive inside KNP.

My advice would be to stay 2-3 nights in a private lodge and the rest self drive.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,086 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Not sure were to start with Kruger ???

If you move your mouse to the top right of this page. You will see a Top Question - Background to staying and booking in KNP. Click on this and it should give you all you need to get started.

The only difference is the prices, which have gone up a bit in Rand in the past couple of years but are actually a LOT cheaper in Pounds due to the big changes in Exchange rates.

Edited: 03 January 2014, 13:59
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not sure were to start with Kruger ???

Just a comment that the Top Questions are not visible on the mobile site or the app. Which means a growing number of users cannot see them.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Not sure were to start with Kruger ???

Somethings else to consider is the time of year you can go. If you can go outside the main SA school holidays and the July influx of Northern Europeans then there are better deals to be had at some of the lodges. Although they seem pricey there are some that are more reasonable and this is even more so when you consider that the price includes full catering and game drives.

That said it is SO easy to DIY in Kruger using sanparks accommodation and a hire car. Howver, the suggestion of a couple of days at a lodge first is a good one as you find out about looking for game before going out on your own.

Would you like to give us an idea about the length of your trip?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,086 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Not sure were to start with Kruger ???

Hi Auntie

One reason why, on my phone, I force TA to display the Desktop site! Quite a few more actually!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,086 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Not sure were to start with Kruger ???

If you are on your phone and can't see the link - here it is!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312618-i9872-k452…

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,086 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Not sure were to start with Kruger ???

Just to put pricing into perspective, as I mentioned earlier.

In mid 2011, when I did the write up, a SANParks double bed bungalow with bathroom (WC & Shower), Aircon and Kitchen, cleaned and serviced with clean linen daily, cost R1,000 p.n., which at the then exchange rate was £90 for two people. Today (2014 prices) the same Bungalow is R1,190 p.n. for most of the rest of this year. However at today's exchange rate (R17.51=£1) this is only £68 (£34 per person) or a Twenty Five percent price decrease, for those coming from the UK.

It was Fantastic Value in 2011 for one of the World's great wildlife experiences! Two and a Half years later it is - !?*%*&!

Edited: 03 January 2014, 17:19
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Not sure were to start with Kruger ???

Hello, thanks for all the help, I'm more clear on my options now, as said I think all the third parties online confused me. Just to give some further information. Our planned duration is 14 days we would hope to spend 8 of these in the park, 2 driving to/from j burg, and 2 in j burg itself were we are planning on hiring a tour guid (open to recommendations) the rest will be flying.

If you stay in one of the lodges supplied by sanparks which is inside the park do you still have to pay the daily fee to enter the park? And do you have to leave the park to stock up on food and petrol etc.

The other option would be to stay outside the parks and drive in as required? Can anyone recommend hotels close to entry.

Also if we decided to get a transfer from j burg in order to relax and enjoy the scenery can we hire a car at KNP.

Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate all the help.

Get answers to your questions about Kruger National Park