We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

naledi

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
naledi

I am a bit confused about Naledi, which gets really good reviews. are the 2camps completely separate, or are there communal dining/safaris etc?

Does anyone know if they are both on a riverbed/waterhole or only enkoveni?

Thank you!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: naledi

There are 2 separate lodges under the Naledi umbrella. Naledi Bush Camp is the original camp. It is a small intimate lodge (8 guests) in a bush setting overlooking a waterhole. It owned and managed by Kjell Bismeyer who mostly does the game driving with a tracker. He is the one who knocks on your door to wake you up in the morning to rally Bush Camp guests to get ready for the game drive. BTW he does a good game drive too. The newer lodge Enkoveni is about 25 minutes drive from Bush Camp and is located on the Olifonts River. It is managed by Shaun and Rozeanne. Shaun also does game driving along with another driver and tracker. The views from the decks of your room are superb ,you will see hippo in the river and animal activity along the banks. The lodge is surrounded by woods and savannah. Both lodges are of a high standard, either one would be one a par with excellent food, chef standard, served in each lodge's dining area , lovely décor , well maintained game vehicles and excellent trackers and guides for each lodge, both in lovely but different surrounds. Both have communal pools but Bush Camp's Leadwood suite where we stayed has a small deck plunge pool. Four of us stayed at Bush Camp first and loved it, so we all came back again in September to stay at Enkoveni. We can attest to its highly deserved Excellent No 1 ranking for speciality lodging in Balule Reserve. Great guest experience and importantly Value for $$$.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: naledi

I can't add any more to the excellent post above except to add Enkoveni will accommodate up to 14 guests (more than Bush Camp ) but hardly less intimate.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: naledi

thank you both, very helpful. Do you reckon you got pretty good gameviewing in Balule - we want to avoid the crowds of Sabi, and seeing the BigFive isnt essential, but obviously good game viewing is priority number one! trying to decide between Klaserie and Balule, as we've been to Sabi and Timbavati previously.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: naledi

My suggestion is go with Balule but I shall preface by saying I have not been to Klaserie but both times in Balule we never experienced a plethora of vehicles as we did in Sabi which took the edge off for me but Leopard sighting was my goal and it delivered extremely well. I won’t sanitise the fact a lot of factors come into play for sightings as per post 3 of Nooees reply contained in the link below which you are very aware of the realities and a non-1st timer.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g312628-i10525-…

Visit 1 was excellent in Balule, visit 2 the weather did affect our sightings but as we all know happens. Timbavati trip 1 way back was great, #2 was disappointing by comparison, again weather. But none of my numerous trips to SA, Africa have disappointed. Bit like asking is Sydney hot in summer… well yes 38 C then 4 days later 22 C and rain, humidity 80%. I just cannot be definitive re sightings and any one here who says that has vested interests or is quite frankly naïve~ .Go with the woman’s intuition, works for me ~~

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: naledi

Thankyou, stargaize .I hadn't seen that other thread as it was in the mpumalanga forum, so thanks for taking the time to repeat all the info for me!

Decisions, decisions!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: naledi

Go with your empirical gut reaction LOL ~~

7. Re: naledi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 06:17