We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping with credit card

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Topic
tipping with credit card

We will be at a private reserve in Kruger- Simbambili - for 3 days -- is it acceptable to tip with credit card at the end of our stay? Can we specify how we want that divided? We would prefer to use cash and hand the tip directly to the ranger and tracker and staff, but did not want to travel with lots of cash. Are there ATM's in the area? We would need close to $200 for tips. Are there are safes in the rooms that are dependable? Do most people still use money belts while on safari for their money and passports?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,282 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping with credit card

Often preferring not to carry lots of cash, I have in the past used credit cards to pay for tips. You can tell the camp manager how you want the tips split up. Occasionally at this forum some will say they don't like the credit card option because one never knows if the property will recover the ~3% surcharge by shorting those who are to receive tips.

In recent times I've leaned toward biting the bullet and carried cash. You can bring some envelopes from home or get some from the property and include a short note of thanks with the tip. I've changed over from cc to cash not from a worry about the 3% business but more so the tipping becomes more personal. My experience has almost always been that a tip is rewarded with a genuinely happy and grateful smile from those who have served you well, becoming a nice part of the safari experience.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
139 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping with credit card

Most lodges accept credit cards for tips and you can specify how you want it split. There will be ATMs in the towns nearby but you will need to draw cash when you land or en route because once you're in the Kruger area there is not much around.

All private lodges will have a safe in the room or at reception which will be reliable. However, the lodges are generally incredibly safe because they are remote and there are no passerby's. Most of the time we don't even bother with the safe but probably better to be safe than sorry if you have a lot of cash. Personally I don't see much point in a money belt, they're just uncomfortable. I have lived in SA for my whole life, traveling extensively and have never had anything stolen out of a hotel room / lodge.

Enjoy

Anne

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,794 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping with credit card

R2,230.00 for tips, for 3 days?!?!?! That equals roughly the wage of a maid for an entire month.

No wonder people think SA is expensive.

I rest my case!!!!!!!

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

4. Re: tipping with credit card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 06:22