We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this too much time in Kruger

British Columbia
Level Contributor
69 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Is this too much time in Kruger

Hi

We are planning a trip to Kruger in the fall of 2015. I do love to see wildlife but i'm not sure if we are spending to much time in the park. We did do a safari in Kenya and Tanzania and it was 21 days and we were certainly not bored (it was the trip of our life time). Our tentative plan is as follows

Middleburg or Waterval Boven the first night

2 nights Berg en dal

2 nights Crocodile bridge

3 nights Lower Sabie

1 night Skukuza

1 night Olifants

3 nights Satara

2 nights Elephant plains

then 2 nights in Graskop to explore Blyde canyon and return to Jo burg

It is unlikely that I would be able to talk my husband into another trip to Africa so I want to make sure that we are spending as much time as makes sense to see as much wildlife as possible. Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,831 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this too much time in Kruger

I seriously envy you, Lucky you.

"Is this too much time in Kruger"....... IMHO one can never have too much time in Kruger National Park.

One can never be bored if one is interested in nature.

When there is no large game, there is small game. When there is neither, there are birds, or insects, or reptiles, or plants or trees, or scenery

Everything changes from day to day..

Only those people who desire ONLY to see the "BIG 5" ( horrible term) and nothing else ( and they do exist), could be bored with what surrounds one in KNP.

When I was able to, I used to spend a week to 10 days three times per year, and that was never enough!

Enjoy!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this too much time in Kruger

Wow, lucky you. I agree with Gavin, one can never have too much time in Kruger. However with your time I would change my camps around a bit to get a more varied experience. I'd either start South and work my way up or the other way around. I'll also recommend that you consider a few nights in one of the private bush camps like Sirheni, Shimuwini, Talamati or Biyamiti. These are fully self-catering, i.e not restaurant available so this might not work for you, however these camps are much more intimate and only residents are allowed in the camp and the road to the camp.

Here is my recommendation based on my opinion

1. I'd pick only one of the most southern camps, spend either 2 nights at Crocodile bridge or 2 nights at Berg-en-Dal.

2. Two/Three nights at Lower sabie is good

3. I'd leave out the night at Skukuza and would add that night to either Olifants or maybe Letaba.

4. If it were me, I'd start the trip out with 2 nights in the north at a camp like Sirheni or Punda Maria, it is not as game dense as the rest of the Kruger but it is a bird lovers paradise and the landscapes are beautiful. Only in the north will you see the boababs etc. Also from there you could visit the Pafuri picnic site and crooks corner, IMO one of the most beautiful spots in the Kruger.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,051 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this too much time in Kruger

Hi there

I can only agree with the others, too much is never enough, although it does depend on the individual of course. But if you were ok with 21 days I imagine you should be fine, we try to do a month at a time because we travel a long way and still we never want to come home. And you are not trapped in the park, you can always take day trips out to look around the nearby towns and so on.

My thoughts..

I too think you should change around a bit. I would consider dropping BenD and staying three nights at Croc Bridge. We had fabulous sightings in that area last time, especially of the couple of lions prides in the area. Add the extra night to Skukuza or Olifants or even Satara.

As Lower Sabie is not a long drive at all from Croc Bridge, you will probably head west from CB to explore the S25 and northwards, Biyamiti area and so on. From Lower Sabie you would head more east and north as well as back south in the S28 area.

I would never only stay at Skuks one night, we have had amazing sightings from there especially first thing of a morning. On the road to Pretoriaskop we have seen all three big cats, wild dog packs and so much more. The famous transport Dam area is here, we have had amazing elephant sightings and more right in the dam, and the hyena population is pretty dense all around Skuks. Plus the Marula loop area, also famous for big cats.

Tip: Semi Luxury Riverview bungalows are the way to go here, great location on the river and well away from the crowds.

Olifants is a great spot to wind down and just sit and enjoy the view, we usually do just that towards the end of our trip.

And Satara, my favorite, stayed a week here last time! The location is amazing for wildlife, we could not believe how many lions we saw in this area, including right outside camp. Tip: Perimeter view bungalows overlooking the waterhole are the way to go.

To stay at a private lodge for the last few days will be icing on the cake and again a great way to end your trip. Just remember to book well in advance for all of these places, good rooms in KNP start booking up a year ahead.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this too much time in Kruger

Waterval Boven and Midlands is well worth a bit of time, whilst my primary goal is scenic, animals and culture, SA is so diverse, truly amazing but SA isnt just Kruger, perhaps go for a mix. Then you realise just how stunning the place is ( like many places ) my own country included. But I have covered a lot of territory and may I suggest a combo. I'm sure to be howled down but if its a fact you won't be back ,,,, well !! Diversity is what its about to really appreciate the country. I feel its too long in Kruger if its the one and only time you will ever be there, consider another perspective. Each to their own albeit just a different viewpoint, discard or consider ~~

British Columbia
Level Contributor
69 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this too much time in Kruger

I love this site!!! Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I think we will drop Berg en dal and add the extra nights on to Olifants and Elephant Plains. I will check out the private bush camps as well. Coming from Canada a large part of the expense is flying to S.A. so I think after reading your responses I will try and add in a couple of more days. There is nothing more wonderful for me than just observing wildlife. Thanks for reassuring me that this visit is not too long.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,051 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this too much time in Kruger

Hello again

I think that looks better, Olifants is really deserved of more than one night, although as I said already I think so is Skukuza with so many directions to go from there. I would seriously consider a bit longer there.

Aside from all the animals, only a five minute drive from camp is the amazing Lake Panic. An absolute living diorama of bird and animal life which is not to be missed, it is viewed from a hide down on water level.

Suzanne your statement "There is nothing more wonderful for me than just observing wildlife. Thanks for reassuring me that this visit is not too long" is assuring for me too. I think you will love Kruger and if you take the time you can get so much enjoyment from literally thousands of creatures of all shapes and sizes, and so many different places to see, such as what I wrote above.

So many have such a short stay and they truly miss just so much, with over 20,000 square kilometers and a variety of eco systems and differing landscapes to cover it would take a very long time for any wildlife lover to get bored.

Staying longer means you get more time to spend in hides, at viewpoints and waterholes, picnic spots, and of course at sightings.

Remember most importantly for Kruger you must book well in advance to get the best locations. Have your plan ready and come back at booking time for some booking tips and help with rooms.

Enjoy planning!

7. Re: Is this too much time in Kruger

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 05:21