We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance and Airport HELP

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
88 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Distance and Airport HELP

Hi

I am worried now as trying to work out the last of my trip. The flights have confused me no end and I am hoping someone can help ASAP

I am flying into Cape Town and then will drive the garden route. I would like to do a safari at the end of this trip so was told to drop the car off in Port Elizabeth do the safari then fly back from Jburg.

Now I have read about the reserves in Kruger I am confused how to get there etc.

Someone suggested Rippons Lodge which is on the outter Kruger and is easier to get too, but if I went with Sabi Sands etc I feel the distance is further so would love some help and advice.

First time safari and first time africa so want to make the most of this amazing trip.

Thanks in advance - most grateful to anyone who answeres this post.

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Distance and Airport HELP

First thing first. Rippons is in the Eastern Cape near Port Elizabeth. Kruger and Sabi Sand are in the north east of South Africa. From Port Elizabeth to Kruger you either fly to Johannesburg and switch planes or drive at least 5 hours from Johannesburg airport.

Do you intend to go to Kruger or do you want to do a safari near Port Elizabeth?

Edited: 17 February 2014, 05:41
Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Distance and Airport HELP

P.S. distances are huge ! You will lose a day for transit.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Distance and Airport HELP

If you want to go to Kruger, you will need to fly Port Elizabeth to Johannesburg and then fly and drive/take a shuttle or drive 500km+ to get to Kruger. The extra travelling will take time and cost more money.

Kruger is better than the game reserves east of Port Elizabeth, but, if you are a first time visitor, you will enjoy them just as much.

Questions

1. Are you solo? children?

2. Budget?

3. How many days do you have?

Edited: 17 February 2014, 06:06
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
88 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Distance and Airport HELP

Thanks, I am thinking due to timings and first time vistor - i will stick with something close to Port Elizabeth.

I will be travelling with my friend, we aim to have 4 nights in cape town then travel down the garden route and have some safari time. 12 days in total which I think is doable. SO thinking 2-3 days safari?

Budget wise I am thinking from RS 2000-3500 a night as would like to stay in a private reserve. OPen to paying a little more if needs be but nothing over RS 4000

5. Re: Distance and Airport HELP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 05:19