We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant closure updates and flooded roads

Save Topic
Restaurant closure updates and flooded roads

Hi all,

Was checking up on conditions in the park and thought everyone would be interested in the updates to restaurant closures. It would appear their initial schedule is completely off. Olifants and Letaba restaurants are still open operating under previous management. See below for info on other camps.

www.sanparks.org/about/news/default.php…

Also several roads are closed due to extensive flooding in the southern section of the park.

https:/…South.African.National.Parks

I arrive on the 15th March for 6 nights in KNP, looking forward to seeing what conditions are like. Excited none the less.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant closure updates and flooded roads

Not only there are floodlights and road closed. Also in Joburg and Pretoria and more!

We had rain as of saturday afternoon untill this afternoon and more is coming!

Edited: 05 March 2014, 18:11
Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,798 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant closure updates and flooded roads

Kruger National Park heavy rains update:

www.sanparks.org/about/news/default.php…

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant closure updates and flooded roads

I can only give a current update on Lower Sabie and Satara at this stage.

Lower Sabie's offerings were pretty poor in general, but at least they had some variety. Hot beverages and "boerewors rolls", pies and "pap and boerewors" and some salads etc. were available, but it was a bit of a shambles, but it worked reasonably well (not exactly spoiled for choice).

Satara's restaurant and public toilets have been closed for several weeks and it looks as if no work has even started. Toilets are available at the day visitors area to the right of the gate (as you come in). Satara's shop didn't seem to have made any effort to increase stocks to cover increased needs, and there were some irate clients after stock of some things ran out.

However, they have erected a "fly kitchen" at Satara (similar to a "fly camp"), which serves pretty decent meals. It's actually reasonably substantial and proved a pleasant surprise when we ate there today - they serve very traditional South African meals. It was their first day today. Quite an extensive menu and I was quite impressed. The operator also runs the operations at Mopani and Berg-en-dal, and will move to Letaba and Olifants when they close down for refurb (I believe they are still operating as stated).

Although it appears they may have got off to a late start, I think there's a good chance that they might be able to achieve some success in covering the bases. Let's hope ...

Edited: 07 March 2014, 20:52
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant closure updates and flooded roads

Forgot to mention that Lower Sabie's restaurant is at least under construction, so there is a possibility that they might be on track for their planned opening (probably two weeks time).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant closure updates and flooded roads

Hi Bushkid. Your post kinda got me worried.

" Satara's restaurant and public toilets have been closed for several weeks and it looks as if no work has even started. " I'll be leaving in a few weeks and if Satara's facilities have been closed for several weeks, it may still be that way for the next few weeks. I just hope the " fly kitchen " won't be a short term endeavor.

Guess I'll have to look for a one burner electric hotplate and do some cooking for myself. Hate to do that when I am feeding only myself.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,192 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant closure updates and flooded roads

This is the latest I have on Satara

*Satara:

Planned opening date: Between 14 and 21 April 2014.

It should be noted that a ‘Bush Kitchen / Boskombuis” which will offer a limited menu and limited seating capacity will be operational in the Day Visitors area during refurbishment.

I would not worry too much bigw. The bungalows all have braais and depending on what you booked, a small kitchen which is ample for preparing basic meals. If you have booked a communal kitchen, same thing goes, except they might be busier than usual!

Last time we were there some nice new locally made salads had been introduced into the stores, which made for a very easy meal if you cook yourself some meat/eggs to go alongside. There are usually plenty of tinned veges and so on in the stores, we find although we do not usually eat the type of meal we would have at home, we are quite happy with more easy and basic eating while in Kruger. On the other hand you can do as many locals do, and hire a skottel at the picnic sites and cook yourself up a good old feast. You probably won't find yourself alone, we have always found ourselves striking up conversations with the locals wherever we have stopped.

Also from Satara you can vist Olifants restaurant for a main meal of the day then just cook light meals 'at home'.

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant closure updates and flooded roads

Bigww, the difficulty will be if you have booked accommodation which has no kitchen and thence if you wish to cook you would need to use the communal kitchen as thesandmans mentioned above. The thing is the communal kitchens only have sinks and hotplates and a 24 hour boiling water urn. No pots, pans, utensils, plates etc. We book non-kitchen tents and bungalows often because they are cheaper but we also bring a lot of stuff from home like a small 'picnic set', a frying pan, a thermos, travel mugs etc.

Having said that, I have booked a solo trip to KNP in November using huts and tents with no cooking facilities. I don't use the restaurants much because I am vegetarian and I also want to keep costs down. I won't be lugging a whole heap of stuff to cook with. I've worked out foods I can bring, buy there and prepare with just a few basic things brought from home.

If the bush kitchen is still in operation when you arrive then I'm sure it will be adequate for your needs especially if you are a meat eater lol. :)

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant closure updates and flooded roads

Sorry folk, I haven't been keeping track too well (been on the road).

The Boskombuis (Bush kitchen) opened the last day we were Satara and I must admit I was very impressed. The limited menu was not as limited as I expected, and the service was great and friendly. The "fly-kitchen" probably creates the wrong perception. They could seat about 50 - 80 people if I remember correctly, and it was well managed. They offered a special of the day which was particularly good.

By "limited" I suppose they meant there weren't 80 items on the menu. There were about 10 different mains, salads, toasties, burgers, steaks, etc, so they'd satisfy quite a broad spectrum. Some starters and desserts also available.

The owner said they'd be in operation until the new restaurant was in operation, and then they'd move to other camps (to allow refurb of their restaurants). Altogether a good and satisfying meal at Satara.

All the other advice above is all great and relevant.

The visitors area (with toilets) is only about 100m away from the camp reception, and perfectly good as an alternative for a wee walk.

Enjoy, Satara is one of my two favourite camps.

And Bigwawao, I wouldn't worry about cooking alone. Kruger is usually such a social place that many folk strike up conversations with their neighbours, and often cook, eat and drink communally. It's the nature of the beast. :-). You're almost guaranteed to meet new people (and a warm introduction is rarely rebuffed). You'll enjoy it immensely.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant closure updates and flooded roads

Thanks Sandman, Bushkid and Tryhard. I will try to get utensils from the gate. Read somewhere here that you can rent a set of utensils at the entrance gate. will have to do some simple cooking- after all I am alone. I would prefer to go to a food shop or restaurant. The one Sandman mentioned and Bushkid updated is o.k. for me. I'm not picky.

I booked non kitchen accomodations but with private bath- (you know- got to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night) . I' be writing a report daily at night and will post it once I get home.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,192 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant closure updates and flooded roads

Bushkid and Bigw

That is great news that a decent alternative is being offered. And great advice about the company, even with a kitchen of our own we still manage to meet so many wonderful friendly locals in camp. They are very proud of 'their' park and are always happy to have a chat, discuss sightings, provide helpful information and ensure you are having a good time.

Last time a local couple that walked past our bungalow one night started chatting about the hyenas at the fence and it ended up a long 'session' sharing stories and learning about each other. Another time we met a couple at a lion sighting near Satara and after chatting through the window ended up having dinner together at the restaurant that night!