We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time traveller to Johannesburg/Kruger National Park

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
First time traveller to Johannesburg/Kruger National Park

We would like some advice on our trip to Johannesburg and the Kruger National park. We will be arriving at Johannesburg on June 29 and would like to drive ourselves to the park. As it is the first time, we would like to spend 3-4 nights at the park.

Can you please give us the best route to the park. We have looked at the map of the lodges but are not sure what are the best options for us for 03 nights. Do we stay at the same lodge or do we have to move for the sightings of the big five.

Thank you.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First time traveller to Johannesburg/Kruger National Park

Thanks for the update Patricia appreciate it we are leaning towards hazyview for day one and the rest will be in the park, hopeful to do at least 6 hrs of sight seeing in the hazyview area.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First time traveller to Johannesburg/Kruger National Park

Any advice on which route to take to maximize the panoramic route if we leave from the phalaborwa exit and overnight at graskop on our way to Johannesburg airport ?

Norfolk, UK
Level Contributor
61 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First time traveller to Johannesburg/Kruger National Park

Hi

When we went, we travelled from Joburg and then stopped for the night at the forever resort in Blyde River Canyon to break the trip. We then saw the canyon and the potholes before carrying on the scenic drive to Kruger. The south of the park does have a lot of animals. If you've only got 2-3 days then I guess I would concentrate on that area. As tryhard says, seeing the animals is down to luck, but you will see LOADS of them! You can check out in the guide books etc where they are mostly known to hang out and you can try and concentrate on those areas if you want to try and see something in particular. There are also sighting boards at the main camps where you can see what has been seen that day and the few days previous. We saw all of the 'big 5' and so much more besides during our week there. You will have an amazing time I'm sure!

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First time traveller to Johannesburg/Kruger National Park

Actec

Have you taken Tryhards advice and looked at availability in camps and making a booking yet?

What camps you can get into is what will determine your routes, gates and itinerary outside the park

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First time traveller to Johannesburg/Kruger National Park

Sorry for the delay in posting our planned itinerary yes we have reservations for the pretoriuskop camp to be our first night followed by lower sabie, satara and letaba will be our last night planning to exit from the phalaborwa exit for the scinic rout for an overnight at graskop and on our way to jnb.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: First time traveller to Johannesburg/Kruger National Park

Looking forward for our trip in Aug, lot of negativity about crooked cops and posted speed limits on the highway, i hope the gps provided by the rentals have the over-speed alarm to be able to stick to the speed limit. never been to south Africa before hopefully it will be a good choice.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: First time traveller to Johannesburg/Kruger National Park

Skukuza camp is the main admin centre for Kruger and by far the largest rest camp and a lot of people avoid staying there. It can get very crowded with large tourist buses and day trippers. However, I have found that as you are out and about most of the day, you do not have to cope with the "masses". The number of people doesn't matter when you are in your accommodation. It is well situated for drives to Pretorioskop and Lower Sabie - and the game is plentiful. On all my trips to Kruger, I have seen lion, leopard, rhino and cheetah around Skukuza as well as ellies, buck, wild dogs, giraffe, etc. Lower Sabie is the nicest camp, but difficult to book with short notice. Pretorioskop is a bit too far to get to Lower Sabie and back again in a day if you have good sightings, but is worth a drive to - lots of rhino there and cheetah. Stop off at Transport Dam.

Satara is a good camp too, particularly for lion, but a bit far from other camps for day trips.

As far as car rental, I would recommend something like a Nissan X Trail 2x4. You don't need 4 wheel drive, but with the 2x4 you get the advantage of the height of a SUV without the cost. Worth the extra money over a sedan.

18. Re: First time traveller to Johannesburg/Kruger National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2015, 06:16