We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rest camp in KNP near Elephant plains?

Level Contributor
192 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
rest camp in KNP near Elephant plains?

Hello wonderful trip advisor members. Please help.

Based on recommendations from here i am considering doing two nights in Elephant plains and two nights in KNP to experience the best of both worlds...

My questions are if fly from Capetown to Hoedspruit are there a couple of rest camps close by to Elephant plains that i can look into? I hear Lower Sabie is recommended but i believe its a 6 hour drive to elephant plains?

Or can i fly to Nelspruit ( which i believe is quicker/cheaper???) .. go to rest camp and THEN to elephant plains? Which camps would make this travel the easiest?

I am looking for a rest camp that has bungalows with private bathrooms along with camp store/market. We will have our own car.

Thanks so much of all your help to my MANY MANY questions. I am excited to plan a great trip and excited to plan it myself ( well not really, you all are planning my trip).

Thank you thank you

Atlanta
Level Contributor
813 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rest camp in KNP near Elephant plains?

You can also fly into Skukuza, right next to the rest camp.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rest camp in KNP near Elephant plains?

If you plan on doing a self-drive safari, I would recommend flying to either Nelspruit or Skukuza from Cape Town and first spending 2 nights in the Kruger Park. I would look at Satara camp, it is a bit further to get to, but closer to Orpen Gate, the gate where you will need to exit when you go to Elephant Plains. From Skukuza / Kruger Gate to Satara is about 4 hours. From Satara to Elephant Plains via Orpen Gate is about 3-4 hours. Ask EP for specific directions from Orpen Gate.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rest camp in KNP near Elephant plains?

Hi, back to your original question. There are 3 restcamps near EP: Olifant River, Satara and Orpen, in this order. You can access them from Orpen Gate.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rest camp in KNP near Elephant plains?

Olifant River? You probably mean Olifants Camp, and that is not very close to EP. Orpen is the closest but that is a very small camp with a tiny shop, at the Orpen Gate entrance to Kruger. Talamati is also close but has no shop. Satara is the best option and offers the best game viewing options also, in my opinion. Lower Sabie is a bit of a drive, and so is Skukuza.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,471 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rest camp in KNP near Elephant plains?

You need to get your booking at Elephant Plains locked in first, as you probably know. After that, the closest airport to Orpen Gate is Hoedspruit. Your life will be simplest if you fly to there (airport code is HDS) though the flights from Cape Town do not operate every day. Maybe not as cheap as flying to Nelspruit - but the difference in stress and driving time is worth paying extra for. From HDS to Orpen gate is less than an hour. Pick a camp from the advice above.

When you leave Kruger - through Orpen Gate - you travel a few miles and come upon an unpaved road on the left that - when you take it - leads you sort of backward for a short distance. There's a tiny sign at ground level for 'Shalati' and a large sign that you can read after you make that turnoff, pointing to the Hluvukani Animal Health Centre. This is the road you must take. (If you stay on the paved road till you see a sign for the Southern Africa Wildlife College.. you have gone too far!)

The unpaved road twists a little.. keep heading south. You pass by a couple of small communities. And finally reach Hluvukani. It is a terrible road, by the way. Wide, but beat up. At Hluvukani, turn left (east) and in a few miles you will see signs for Gowrie gate.. and you turn right and spend some more time on a pretty bad road. Soon enough, you reach Gowrie gate, pay your fees, and follow the signs to Elephant Plains.

I just drove these roads from Gowrie gate to Orpen gate in February, and I can tell you that from the time you leave Orpen gate till you reach Elephant Plains can easily be an hour and a half.

If Elephant Plains doesn't have space for you, other good values in that part of Sabi Sand are Arathusa, Nkorho, and Cheetah Plains.

Dave Patterson - The Africa Safari

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,861 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rest camp in KNP near Elephant plains?

I agree with Onne, Satara is your best bet from Orpen Gate and its tar road all the way. Orpen itself is a lovely peaceful little camp with rooms overlooking the waterhole, but is set up for self catering.

But Satara is worth the extra drive if you are after amenities as you say, with restaurants and a good size well stocked store.

Try to get a perimeter bungalow, they overlook the bush and will provide game viewing right from your verandah, plus many have been undergoing renovations

Also Satara is a good spot to stay when you only have a short visit planned, lots of game of all type in the area, great waterholes to visit, and roads to drive.

As well as being further away, Olifants camp is a less dense game viewing area around the camp itself, but the drive up there is good.

Your plan to experience both Kruger and a private reserve is good, something I often recommend, but if you can add any extra days that would be fantastic, just to get that bit extra game viewing time.

7. Re: rest camp in KNP near Elephant plains?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2015, 05:16