We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rest Camps & Game Drives

Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Rest Camps & Game Drives

We (5 adults) are planning a 2015 trip to Africa and when in Kruger National Park are thinking of staying at one or two rest camps followed by a private reserve. When booking game drives while staying at the rest camps is this done through the campsite or are there other private companies we can book? We want to travel in an open 4x4, not a truck with 20+ people, and also be able to go off the tracks as you can at the private reserves. Is this possible?

Thanks

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,460 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rest Camps & Game Drives

Cin07,

Unfortunately you cannot go off road (off tracks) inside Kruger NP. However, this is a normal part of a game drive in the private reserves.

The KNP ranger guided drives can be booked by phone (not available online) thru SANParks reservations. Can also be done at the same time while you are making phone reservations (or afterwards).

I am not familiar with your desire for a 4x4, I'm sure someone else will be albe to advise.

Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rest Camps & Game Drives

Thanks CTM7943. That clears up a lot and now I understand why so many people do self drives.

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rest Camps & Game Drives

On the Sanparks game drives I have been in a 4x4 vehicle with only my two travelling companions but I have also often been on one of the trucks with 20 others. Largely luck of the draw and not necessarily related to which camp you are at. The vehicles are all 'open' although they have a roof and as stated above do not go off road.

Leipzig, Germany
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rest Camps & Game Drives

Hi,

eff. June 2014, you can book the KNP guided drives online (www.sanparks.org)

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rest Camps & Game Drives

One idea you may want to consider, stay in a private reserve first if you do not have experience of game viewing. Spending time with a guide, you get a better idea of how to spot game so that it is more fun thereafter on your own. I know there are people who prefer to do it the other way around so that the relative luxury of the game lodge comes after the simpler stay in KNP though!

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rest Camps & Game Drives

I always recommend visitors do the pvt GR section first. Exactly what i'm doing again in July/august. I know i'm very likely to see tons of game in pvt section of KNP. Then during self drive i'm not so concerned about getting up at sparrows in case i miss the leopard that was on the road etc. Gives me more freedom esp when having seen plenty animals just a couple of days earlier. No need to hire car whilst in pvt section. They (lodges) will organise to pickup and drop you back at Hoedepruit/Nelspruit where you collect car and dump at OR Tambo.

Herndon, Virginia
Level Contributor
44 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rest Camps & Game Drives

Having just returned from a fantastic trip to Kruger, I would recommend you consider another option where you stay at the rest camps within the park, and really maximize the benefits of being with a guide who will give you more than the "typical" game drive experience. Here is a link to the review I posted upon return to give you a better idea of what I mean. It truly is an amazing experience being in Kruger Park so I recommend you spend every possible minute within it.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rest Camps & Game Drives

nice trip! But you don't say which camps you stayed at?

9. Re: Rest Camps & Game Drives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 05:16