We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip to Kruger

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
trip to Kruger

Hi

we are planing to spend about 12 days in Kruger in August 15 in a camper van. Its a bit confusing all those maps and places you can go and be. I saw that Lower Sabi is a place a lot of people really like. But I do not see how long it takes from which Rest camp to another one? Can anybody help me and suggest a good route for those 12 days? Where to start? We arrive at JHB Airport in the morning and will drive straight to Kruger. Is it also possible, to stay a few nights in a lodge even if you have a camper? That would be a nice change ;-) Thanks a lot for your help!!

Jasmine

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,789 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip to Kruger

the easiest would be, to start your planning exploring the Kruger Park website.

You will find distances between camps, from gates to camps etc. and the facilities are described in detail.

www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/

Hope this helps to get started.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Pretoria, South...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: trip to Kruger

Hi Jasmine

It takes about 5 hours to drive from Johannesburg to the Southern part of the Kruger National Park. That would be your best entry point. And that is on a fast pace, if you would like to take it a bit more relaxed and stop 2 or 3 times, add at least 1 to 2 hours. Also try alternative routes as there are a lot of road works on the N4 towards Nelspruit and it can easily delay your journey with more than an hour.

Yes you can stay at a lodge even if you are travelling in a camper van. I would recommend treating yourself with a great lodge experience towards the end of your trip, maybe on your way out of the Kruger Park. I can recommend Mvuradona Safari Lodge in Marloth Park. It is close to the Crocodile Bridge camp and its also in a wildlife conservation area, so you have the wild animals roaming around but you are free to explore the hikes and walkways along the crocodile river boundary since there are no dangerous game in the conservation area. I have a couple of additional recommendations if you need any, let me know.

Kind Regards

Schantell Erasmus

Madikela Tours

Gilroy, California
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: trip to Kruger

Greutzi Jasmine

Yes certainly a camper can be brought into the Sabi Sands Reserve and what a special safari venue it is. Try to spend at least 3 nights for a near certain chance to see big 5 (lion, leopard, rhino, cape buffalo, & elephant) very close up and naturally. So much amazing wildlife and harder to spot leopards seen often. Sabi Sands is at the south westerly corner of the park so you could stop there on the way in or way out. Lodges rate from 3 - 5 stars, for a few nights restful sleep in a bed that doesn't move down the road, a nice pool'to relax a little, and wonderful food before and after twice daily AM & PM safari game drives, maybe trend to at least 4 stars. At 5 stars it is hard to be disappointed.

It is a shorter drive from JNB to the southern end of the park, northern regions add kilometers on not as nice of roads as the more direct route to southern end of the Kruger. I would certainly see the park from bottom to top as the terrain, weather, and even some species change from one end to the other. On the way back down you may wish to travel the Panorama Route just outside the park, many visitors miss it and well its not the Swiss Alps (nothing else is) but the third deepest and one of the greenest canyons on earth. Very beautiful. Last, please allow more than 5 hours from JNB to the park as a camper is not such a sports car, it can rain hard on the N4 during some seasons, and give your self time please to drive only in daylight.

Well have a super time, you seem to have a well thought plan.

Tchuss

Michael - Owner - Kanyezi Africa Safaris

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip to Kruger

My perfect Kruger holiday would be:

1st night Pretorioskop, plenty of time to get from Johannesburg to the rest camp and see a bit of game along the way. 3 nights at Lower Sabie, then up to Satara for 3 nights. Although a lot of people do not like Skukuza because it is such a large rest camp, I would spend 2 nights there - great game viewing and Lake Panic bird hide. It is then just a short trip to Sabi Sands Reserve where I would spend 3 nights at a private lodge. Many options cost wise - from super expensive to more budget lodges (around $200US a night). Just do a search of Sabi lodges and have a good read. You can take your camper van there, but you will have to stay in the lodge accommodation. Really worth it for the up close game experience.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip to Kruger

Thank you sooo much for your reply!!!

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip to Kruger

Thanks a lot! I will read through it! Lots to read :-)

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip to Kruger

My suggestion is do 3 nights in a pvt lodge first. If you book now you'll find something in $185-$225/pppd range. Everything included except booze. Then enter KNP near southern end and wind yr way up north over the next 8 days. Then its 5-6 hrs back to JBG. You'll see a lot of game including cats close up in pvt sections where they can drive off road. Then you'll feel less pressure to race around on yr self drive trying to find leopard, lion etc. Either way you'll see tons of game. KNP is packed with wildlife. Don't ignore the birds either. About 400 species in just one GR!! More than most countries have.

JHB
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: trip to Kruger

I can really recommend a lovely lodge inside Kruger National Park- Lukimbi Safari Lodge

kruger-2-kalahari.com/lukimbi-safari-lodge.h…

We stayed there for 3 days and had a really great time, the food is wonderful, it is easy to get to in the south of the Kruger.

check it out

Enjoy

9. Re: trip to Kruger

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Kruger National Park