We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

There are days when you wonder why you go.........

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
There are days when you wonder why you go.........

There are days when nothing stirs, when it's overcast or windy and everything hides, when your Corolla is dominated by big people in big 4x4s, when the effort of travelling for a day on three planes to get there seems hardly worth it, when you eat a poor diet and drink too much wine to compensate.

There are days when there isn't much around bar a few impala and waterbuck, but it's a beautiful morning and the sun is rising over southern Africa, when the light is incomparable, and you come across a giraffe and you think what an incredible animal it is and you have to work out wether it's a male or female ( the tufts??).

And then there are days....

We set out from Shimuwini as the gate opened by a man swathed in overcoats braced against the one degree cold. After 5 days in the north of Kruger where we had seen loads of elephant and little else. We drove down the exit road with headlamps on full until we met the tar road. Right or left? Neither road with a great reputation for sightings. Ok right towards the Phalaborwa gate on the H14. By now enough light to turn the lights off. As we neared the Letaba river we both noticed a shape toward the left of the road. Leopard, leopard said Mrs J ( in a whispered scream) . As we neared it it moved into the scrub at the left and disappeared, no chance of photos. Suddenly something caught my eye on the right, another leopard dear me! Maybe a one year old. It sat on the road and starting coughing. Now hold the pose please look left, got you snap snap. It moved to the scrub at the right. An answering call came from the mother. Cough cough. The cub moved in front of us , crossed the road. For a brief moment we saw them together and then they quietly merged with the grey green morning.

A few months ago I asked if we would like Kruger. You said to go. Did we have a good time?

Oh yes.

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
375 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: There are days when you wonder why you go.........

Absolutely wonderful. We leave in 10 days, must remember the thermals!

Cornwall England
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: There are days when you wonder why you go.........

John you do tell the story so well, the 'silent' scream, brilliant. And even more brilliant is that we have two nights at Shimuwin in September, will listen out for the cough! C

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: There are days when you wonder why you go.........

Brilliant...do tell more...

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
638 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: There are days when you wonder why you go.........

4 days and counting.. 10 days to shimuwini.. Thank you

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: There are days when you wonder why you go.........

Five weeks for us and we hope to take the thermals but not have to use them......John, a wonderful story...do tell more...

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
648 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: There are days when you wonder why you go.........

Fab review.

9 days to go, thermals and hot water bottle packed!!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: There are days when you wonder why you go.........

Ok , thanks for the kind comments, another tomorrow.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,188 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: There are days when you wonder why you go.........

We had those days too. A leopard just casually walking along the road, right next to our truck, then posing for photos. A group of elephants leisurely swimming across the Zambizi. Male Kudos fighting. One female elephant did a warning charge.

Only saw three scrawny teenage lions though.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,031 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: There are days when you wonder why you go.........

Great story John, keep em coming.

I always remember the quietest drive we ever had, it was out to Phalaborwa gate, then on the way back..wow our most spectacular cheetah sighting ever and all to ourselves (see avatar).

Kept me high for the rest of the day lol.

Love it

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,054 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: There are days when you wonder why you go.........

I too have a similar experience. I just posted the last of my trip report. I just transferred from Lower Sabie to Skuzuza and was very tired. I did not want to go out on a self drive. I pushed myself and was rewarded with two baby hyenas by the roadside and 5 rhinos!