We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skukuza Rest Camp

India
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Skukuza Rest Camp

We have a confirmed booking for LB2K Bungalows at Skukuza Rest Camp for 2nd week of July.

However LB2K & LB3 B'lows are missing in the camp map which lists all other types of accommodation, although it is listed in the booking portal. No riverside bungalows available for those dates.

Is something amiss or the map is outdated.

We shall be driving in from Satara to Skukuza. What would be the driving time via Tsokwane?

Since we could not get a booking at Lower Sabie we intend to self drive to LS and return to Skuks the same day. Possible?

Pl advise.

Thanks & Regards

Mentioned in this post
Skukuza Rest Camp
Skukuza Rest Camp
1,229 Reviews
Kruger National Park, South Africa
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skukuza Rest Camp

Can't comment on the missing bungalows from the map, but if you've recieved your confirmation and have made your payment then you have nothing to worry about. If you want to know where the units are upfront maybe contact skukuza directly.

The drive between LS and Skukuza is definitely do-able and highly recommended!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skukuza Rest Camp

Keep watching the availability section of Sanparks website. The riverside bungalows may appear and they are worth it for their excellent position.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,503 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skukuza Rest Camp

Hello Sohra

You are not the first person to have had this problem with bungalows not being shown on the map. Sometimes renovations are done and the bungalows change grade or sometimes they just get changed and we cannot explain why.

As you probably know the two you are looking at are virtually the same but the LB3 has an extra sleeping option. I have never referenced the 'K' and not sure if it is still used, as it does not seem to give any extra features.

What I would do is ask them about the K when you call and book, it must be something to do with the location. Which you will need to check anyway with neither being on the map. Most times it just turns out to be outdated.

Driving from Skukuza to Satara can take anything from about three to four hours without stops up to five hours or more, it is a good viewing road. It just depends how many stops you make along the way. Everyone stops at Tshokwane but you might also stop at sightings. For example on one drive up to Satara we spent an hour with mating lions just north of Tshokwane, then an hour and a quarter with elephants playing in the dam a bit further up the road, plus more.

This is why you leave first thing in the morning, so you can cruise along very slowly.

The round trip from Skukuza is most definitely doable, in fact I highly recommended it here regularly as a day trip. You can be at Lower Sabie in time for breakfast in fact. Spend time in the area and at Sunset dam then head south. Stop at Croc bridge then head along the S25, this road alone can take two hours. Then you have various options heading back north to Skukuza. The Biyamiti loop is a lovely drive and regularly produces.

Would recommend you also stop at the Afsaal picnic spot for a break. If you are going really well you could even detour down to Transport Dam, usually worth a visit or even Lake Panic near Skukuza camp itself.

Enjoy planning

India
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Skukuza Rest Camp

Thanks all for the responses.

Got confirmation that BE3SE Nos 48-53 are the LB3 types while 52 is now LB2K.

the sandmans- shall definitely follow your advice on the Satara-Skukuza and Skukuza-LS day trip routing.

Shall be in Skukuza Rest Camp on 12 & 13July. Will WC Semifinal/Final coverage be available in the room DSTV or in some common area.

Siento Espana.

Mentioned in this post
Skukuza Rest Camp
Skukuza Rest Camp
1,229 Reviews
Kruger National Park, South Africa
Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,503 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skukuza Rest Camp

Hi Sohra,

The only bungalows AFAIK with televisions at Skukuza are the semi lux riverside and as with all camps, the large guest houses.

Generally demand for TV is minimal while in the park, and most people would not be comfortable with the noise as they are there for the bush and associated sounds. Just not a lot of TVs around I am afraid, whenever we stay in the SLRBs we have not even turned the TV on, as we are too tired at night after being up before dawn each day.

Having said that however Skukuza being the big camp that it is, they may have a TV set up somewhere. I have seen this happen in some camps, even little Letaba, and with the popularity of the WC there may be a good possibility something will be arranged for the duration.

Unless you want to call or email, you can just ask once you arrive at camp.

India
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Skukuza Rest Camp

My Skukuza bookings are for 12-13July. Wanted to stay in Lower Sabie but none was available when the booking was made in March.

Upon checking availability today found that 1 unit is available at LS on 12July. I am tempted.

Is it advisable to cancel booking for 12 July for Skukuza and go for LS. Would have to cancel activity bookings also for 12 July.

Was planning to go for a self drive from Skuks to LS, now with this option available can't decide which way to go stay 1 nt in LS or visit on a day trip.

Is it worth or should I leave the itinerary unchanged.

Grateful for your suggestions.

Regards

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,503 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skukuza Rest Camp

If you really feel that you want to experience a night at Lower Sabie, then of course you can change, just depends how much you mind packing up and moving an extra night. There are many drives to make in the area.

The only difference it will make is that you will be right in the LS area first thing in the morning, which means you can get a drive in around that area at daybreak. This could be good, but there are no guarantees either way.

We have had fabulous game drives right outside both camps at gate opening time, we have also had quiet ones! I rate them pretty much equal for wildlife, but it's just the luck of the draw on the day I am afraid.

8. Re: Skukuza Rest Camp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 05:19