We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AVIS @ Skukuza - Shuttle Update

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
215 reviews
Save Topic
AVIS @ Skukuza - Shuttle Update

This was forwarded to me today, by someone who went to the AVIS location at the Skukuza airport:

Went to the airport.....it is still something of a building site around the terminal building and the little shop was stocking up, Avis office is still waiting for desks to be delivered before being operational at the airport. All looks good inside though with check-in desk on the left as you walk in, and a concierge desk on the right down a short passage.

I was able to talk to one of the airport managers and get the information I wanted from her, and then drove to Skukuza and got more information from the Avis manager.

1. If you book a vehicle from Avis it will be waiting for you at the airport - worse case scenario is a shuttle to the camp, but that is free for all who have booked a vehicle. Booking in advance means your choice of car (or a better one) will be available.

2. Budget do also provide vehicles, but their depot is outside Kruger gate so a little more difficult, but again they will usually bring the car into Kruger to Skukuza or to the airport for you.

3. A shuttle will be operational for those who need to get from airport to camp or vice versa and that is R150/person. Yes it is steep, but they want to discourage back-packers for example who just pitch up on a plane and then expect to be ferried around or try to hitch with other guests (it was a problem when the airport was open before).

4. To indicate that you want the vehicle at the airport rather than the camp you must put your flight number on the booking form, if there is no flight number they will presume you want the car at camp. (But even then I suspect you will get a free ride into camp - I did not ask about that as I have only just thought about it :redface: ).

The manager did advise that anyone wanting to leave a car for a return (eg staff) rather leave the car at Skukuza and get a lift out because of the building still going on. In time they may have parking facilities for folk to leave cars.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AVIS @ Skukuza - Shuttle Update

Thanks for the update! We're planning on renting as transfer costs from Skukuza to our lodge are exorbitant ($300 for two people!).

Atlanta
Level Contributor
769 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AVIS @ Skukuza - Shuttle Update

I reserved a car at the Skukuza Avis (we are flying into SZK and arrive approx 1 PM), but I wanted to pick it up in camp later in the day after we've settled in. The reason is that we must return it at about 4 PM in JNB and if I pick up at the airport at 1 PM, the rate goes up by $80. Those 3 hours make a big difference. But if I have to pay R150 x 6 people, then I guess the cost is the same ultimately. If we have a rental waiting for us at camp, do you think we could ride the shuttle for free?

I've tried emailing them but no reply yet.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AVIS @ Skukuza - Shuttle Update

According to item #1 from above:

1. If you book a vehicle from Avis it will be waiting for you at the airport - worse case scenario is a shuttle to the camp, but that is free for all who have booked a vehicle.

The shuttleis free for those who have booked a vehicle, at either SZK location

Atlanta
Level Contributor
769 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AVIS @ Skukuza - Shuttle Update

Gah! I'm an idiot. I see that now. Thanks. I hope they assume we will just pick up at camp rather than airport. I'll make sure our reservation is 4 PM and not 1 PM.

Does anyone think we should pay the extra $100 and pickup car right when we arrive (either at airport, if available, or at camp)? My thoughts were we would just explore first at camp, but perhaps we should get going with some self-drive through the bush? We will be in Kruger a total of 6 days.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AVIS @ Skukuza - Shuttle Update

As long as you do not provide flight information on your reservation, then your car will be available at the camp.

I had to call AVIS custmer service today to have my flight info added to our reservation (could not add flight info online), so that our car will be ready at the airport. I suspect that automatic cars will be in shorter supply versus the manuals. There was only 1 sedan model & 1 SUV model listed as choices at SZK.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
769 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AVIS @ Skukuza - Shuttle Update

Yes, that makes sense. I don't think I put in a flight number but will double check. thanks.

Did you mean the automatics are in short supply? Or choices in general? We are fine with a manual transmission. Will even have a SA friend with us who will do most of the driving. At least that wasn't a worry b/c so many other things have been! We reserved ours already and it's a manual minivan.

Edited: 26 June 2014, 00:52
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AVIS @ Skukuza - Shuttle Update

I meant automatic vehicles, as there are only 2 models listed ( a sedan & a SUV) to choose from at SZK.

There are numerous manual models listed to choose from.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
769 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AVIS @ Skukuza - Shuttle Update

As a follow up, does anyone know what the Avis deductible is generally if you get CDW? When I made my reservation, CDW was not optional but required. I'm trying to decide if I should use my Plat Amex w/ premium car rental coverage in addition to the CDW (it would cover any deductible).

Atlanta
Level Contributor
769 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AVIS @ Skukuza - Shuttle Update

I thought I'd follow up on my experience with Avis at Skukuza. We did NOT put our flight # in as we wanted to pick up at the camp rather than the airport (b/c we could not return until a later time and I didn't want to pay the extra day). It was kind of a hassle, to be honest. The Avis rep at the airport did not really understand that we'd reserved a vehicle for camp pick up. Lots of calling and waiting and, I admit, a bit of anxiety. After about 20 minutes, all seemed resolved and we waited another 10 min or so for them to take us in the Avis shuttle to the camp. The other family there got the vehicle at the airport, but they couldn't drive away until about the time we did, so I'm not sure it saved much time (though saved a little stress!).

The Avis rep let us check in at reception and then drove us to our housing, and another rep brought the van to us a couple of hours later. It was all very efficient at that point.

One interesting thing as re automatic vs manual transmission: we reserved, in theory, a manual van, but the van that showed up was automatic. I had the impression that all of the larger vans (8 seater) are automatics. We had the hyundai one.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AVIS @ Skukuza - Shuttle Update

dreamtripper,

We are also planning to pick-up at the airport.

Do you know why the other family who picked up their car at the airport was delayed so long?

Also, was there a Sanparks representative at the airport?

Just wondering, how did the other couple get their Kruger permit (which is usually provided at the gate).

Our 1st camp is Lower Sabie, which we wil be driving to, upon pickup of the car.

Thanks