We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kruger Self Drive Safari - Planning tips

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
805 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Kruger Self Drive Safari - Planning tips

Just returned from 7 days 6 nights self drive trip to Kruger.

Here is the detailed trip report - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312618-i9872-k757…

If that is too detailed (I did get carried away).

Here are the big takeaways and planning questions answered.

My earlier forum questions is here, which has inputs from other contributors who were very very helpful.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312618-i9872-k727…

Driving around

Left side drive was no trouble to adjust to even though I was driving on left for the first time. Roads and highways are fairly well marked even though signs are a little bit different. Stayed in a hotel for the night at Sandton (considered safer part of town).

Drive to Malelane – Started at 4 in the morning. was a great drive. Couple of pit stops at gas stations on the way. All of them do take credit cards although I preferred to pay by cash.

Closer to Malelane there are delightful fruit vendors by the road side and picked up some fruits. Construction delay was only 15 minutes on N4. Entered Malelane gate at 9 A.

Park Shop stores in bigger camps have most of the supplies that you will need. Including some selection of fruits/vegetables/dairy/meat.

Guide Books

Gates sell the official Kruger Map/Guidebook – 35 R

Camps stores (Park Shop) sells the Honeyguide Map/Fuide which is fantastic for maps and identification lists -60R

In effect, you end up buying both to get around, unless you have a map preprinted.

Visa: No visa needed for US Nationals. Just make sure that your passport has 6 months of validity and 2 free pages at the time of departure. I know someone who was denied boarding as he did not have 2 free pages and had to go to US Passport services and have pages added.

Expenses : Primary expense was getting from US to JNB. Flight tickets were very expensive. I need to solve this problem and move to SA :-)

Other than that 6 nights accommodation in camps costed ~500 USD for family,

Renting a FWD SUV for 7 days costed another ~500 USD (including insurance) ,

Gas, food, and incidentals and souvenirs cost about a $1000 for the entire trip including the conservation fee of ~$25/adult/day + 2 night safaris.

Exchange Rate - Convert money at JNB airport. their rate was about 10R to 1 $. Back in US, i saw rates such as 5R - 1$ at Atlanta rate.

Insects/Malaria: Very low bug activity in June. Hardly any mosquitos. We had insect repellents handy. Please use your best judgement on your concerns for malaria

N4 Road construction : Rapid construction work in progress on N4 near Malelane. While going in very early in the morning had to wait only 15-20 minutes. But while returning in the evening hours, had to wait 1 hour. There was 2.5 km long line in the opposite direction.

Rest Stops/Gas stations : JNB to Kruger. Some of the stops had armed (with machine guns) security detail. So please use care. Although I didn’t feel threatened in any way. The workers themselves were very very helpful. Enjoyed interacting with them.

Souvenirs – Park shops in bigger camps do have an assortment of Tshirts, Mugs, postcards, magnets, bookmarks etc. T shirts were very expensive but other things are fairly priced. IN JNB, Sandton, there is a Sandton craft market by the Mandela square which has almost all the local flavored souvenirs on a bargain. Must visit this market first if you are looking for souvenirs. Nearby shops in the Mandela square shopping complex have 2 shops which are a little bit more expensive but good quality.

Night Safari in June – Very cold at night. We had 4 layers + blankets and still were very cold.

Clothing for June – as seen in many posts here, layers. When you get out at 6 you need multiple layers. By 11 AM it is quite warm. By 6 Pm cold again.

What I could have done better. Stay multiple days at each camp, rather than 6 days in 6 camps. Ideally I would do 2 nights at small camps then 1 night at big camp, then again 2 nights at small camps and so on. Probably a day at Lower Sabie sitting and drinking coffee at the restaurant all day watching the river.

Photography – Had a Nikon SLR with 200 mm lens. + an ultrazoom Sony SX 50. Changing lens etc during the trip is not recommended due to 1. Dust/dirt 2. You are going to miss out on the real wild environment. Went through about 40 GIG worth of SD cards. Had enough to spare.

Voltage – Tented camps and smaller bush camps had no outlets. Bigger ones had outlets and in one case had a 110v outlet. If you bring the adapter it should work well. I had a in-car charger which I could plug into the cigarrete lighter outlet which I could use to charge cell phones, camera batteries etc.

Cell phone coverage – should be expected only in the bigger camps.

Do carry Flashlights, very much needed. if you get a powerful one, you can use it to shine across the river beds in the smaller camps

Any questions, i can try to answer.

Outlook Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Vula Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Atlanta
Level Contributor
246 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kruger Self Drive Safari - Planning tips

Wonderful report and detail Rob. Thanks so much for sharing! You are very adventurous! Just curious, did you mostly cook or eat out? I think I remember it was your son and yourself, right? No sense wasting time cooking when you can be on the road, or maybe evenings after the gate closed, you had time to cook?

Btw- I remember our trips as a child and my father giving us 5 cents, 10 cents, etc. for different animals, I think cheetahs were 25! Impala were zero after the first day, LOL :) My sisters and I sat in the backseat with our books in hand, eyes glued on the sides of the road! Your report helped me relive those memories!! Hope to do this with my kids!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
805 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kruger Self Drive Safari - Planning tips

We mostly cooked, except when we were in the bigger camps, where there were restaurant options.

There was time to cook in the evenings, as there is nothing much to do. In the morning we did get up early to pack breakfast and be on the road in time.

3. Re: Kruger Self Drive Safari - Planning tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 07:16