We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Kruger! (Africa on Foot+Shindzela+Skukuza)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First visit to Kruger! (Africa on Foot+Shindzela+Skukuza)

Hello all

I will be doing my very first visit to kruger coming October '14 and just wanted to get some input on the current itinerary!

My partner and I will be flying into JNB around 2pm, hence we plan to stay the night at Johannesburg. The next morning we will make our way to Kruger.

After much reading up online and checking our many many lodges, we will be spending

- 2 nights at Africa on Foot as the walking safari appeals to me,

- 2 nights at Shindzela and

- lastly 2 nights at Skukuza (because Lower Sabie is no longer available and this area according to research has the highest likelihood of game viewing disregarding personal luck)

On our last day at Kruger we would be flying to port elizabeth (transit at JNB) from Hoedspruit to take a drive down the garden route to cape town.

Just some questions:

1) we are thinking of taking the road transfer from JNB airport as mentioned by AOF. Has anyone taken that and can comment on the comfort level of the transfer? Alternatively we may choose to take a flight instead. Still open to both options.

2) Transferring from Shindzela to Skukuza, I will have a car (our driving friends will meet us at shindzela), however is this drive feasible? the recommended driving time on the sanparks website is 5h35m from Orpen gate. Should I pick another camp instead?

3) For Kruger to port elisabeth, I cannot find any direct flight. There is only a flight to JNB followed by a separate flight to PLZ. Is there any other option?

4) On our last day before we fly to port elizabeth, we would like to take a short visit to blyde river canyon. Is this feasible or recommended? Or should we just forgo that in lieu of more time within the park before our flight?

5) Oh and how would the weather be like in mid october? What kind of clothes should we wear?

We are super excited for this trip, and would love to hear from you any feedback about our plans!

Anna

Vula Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Eco Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Safaris, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours
Outlook Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Moriti Private Safaris
Safaris, Private Tours, Multi-day Tours
1. Re: First visit to Kruger! (Africa on Foot+Shindzela+Skukuza)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2014, 15:43
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Kruger! (Africa on Foot+Shindzela+Skukuza)

I am by no means an "expert" but think if you are flying out of Hoedspruit, unless it is a late flight, you may be better staying at Satara. Or if you stick with Skukuza, try to change your flight to PE to leave from Nelspruit (KMIA) airport. You could also save drive time by leaving the park at Skukuza and using the highway to Hoedspruit.

Weather can get quite hot during the day - we had 38C a couple of days, so short sleeves, light pants but something warmer for the evenings particularly on night drives it can get a bit chilly. Layers work well.

As far as Blyde River - up to you if you want to miss a day of game viewing - I wouldn't!

3. Re: First visit to Kruger! (Africa on Foot+Shindzela+Skukuza)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 05:16