We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon/evening game drives ?

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Topic
Afternoon/evening game drives ?

Hi,

we are at the end of October in Kruger. I know the camp gates open at 5:30 a.m. in the morning and close already at 6 p.m. in the evening. When are you going on the afternoon game drives.

Isn`t the time around 6-7 p.m. the moste interesting time to do game drives ?

Thansk

Jan

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Afternoon/evening game drives ?

If you want to go into the park after dark, you have to go on an organized sunset or night drive, in a SAN Parks vehicle.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Afternoon/evening game drives ?

When are you doing usually your afternoon game drives ?

On our trip in Namibia/Botswana we were a game drive eary in the morning and in the afternoon/ evening.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,442 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Afternoon/evening game drives ?

Game drives can be booked in advance online or paid at the camp. If you are going at a busy time, it may be best to book online.

The attached link is for booking game drives @ Lower Sabie. However, you can change the camp at the bottom of the page.

In Oct, sunset drives start at 4:30PM and last about 3 hours

In Oct night drives at 8PM and last about 3 hours

sanparks.org/parks/kruger/camps/lower_sabie/…

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
160 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Afternoon/evening game drives ?

Jan,

Are you self driving in Kruger or are you staying in a private reserve?

The experts should correct me but it is my understanding that you can game drive all day between the gate opening and closing times if you are self driving.

But if you are staying in a private reserve they usually have two drives a day - one in the morning and one in the evening and they are not constricted by the gate times as the drives are on their own land or land shared with Kruger.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,442 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Afternoon/evening game drives ?

The above link was for sanparks ranger guided drives, which are on a set schedule.

Yes, if you are self driving you can drive around the park from gate opening (5:30AM in Oct) until gate closing (6PM in Oct).

In the private reserves, yes they usually have 2 game drives a day. A sunrise drive (usually around 6AM) for about 3 hrs and a sunset drive (usually around 3:30PM) for about 3 hours. Some also have a bush walk after breakfast - which is after the sunrise drive. Different lodges may have different times.

Althought these drives are not restricted by gate times,they require adherence to a schedule. And you are not allowed to ride around on your own.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Afternoon/evening game drives ?

Hi,

We are staying in Lower Sabie and Satara. Is it correct that the Camp Gates close at 6 p.m. and I'm Not able to do Game Drive by myself After 6 p.m.?

Leipzig, Germany
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Afternoon/evening game drives ?

Yes

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,442 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Afternoon/evening game drives ?

if you are self driving you can drive around the park from gate opening (5:30AM in Oct) until gate closing (6PM in Oct).

After 6PM yoou cannot drive yourself around the park

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Afternoon/evening game drives ?

Jan S

We get up early, have a coffee and leave the camps shortly after the gates open.

We stop a couple of hours later for our proper breakfast at a hide, picnic spot or water hole. This is sometimes a cooked breakfast but always with hot coffee!

We are often out all day and stop for lunch and perhaps a swim at another rest camp before heading back to camp shortly before the gates close. This is often a very productive time. Why is it that the lions or wild dogs always seem to lounge on the road at this time! Are they trying to tease us all?

We always go on at least one night drive booked through SANPARKS. We like the experience but I have to admit that sometimes we have seen very little and on others have had an exciting time. I would not feel too deprived about not being able to drive around on your own in the dark! Late afternoon is a great time. And my favourite because I love the colour of the light.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Afternoon/evening game drives ?

Hi,

thanks for your answer. I think we`ll book a night dirve as well. Would you book the night drive at Lower Sabie or Satara ? What do you think about the walking safaris which SAN parks offer in the early morning ?

Thanks

Jan