We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hazyview vs Graskop

Colombo, Sri Lanka
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hazyview vs Graskop

Hi,

For exploring the Blyde River Canyon region, it it better to stay at Graskop instead of Hazyview?

Hazyview seems to have more hotels & shops. I'm thinking it may be easier to find good day tours here. Graskop seems very quiet.

Also, do I necessarily need to drive when in this area? Or can I just do a day tour? The best would be to hire a car with a driver for the day. But I'm not sure if this is easily available and how much it would cost.

Please advice. Thanks a lot.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hazyview vs Graskop

Kris, not a big difference between Hazyview and Graskop. Graskop is a bit closer to the actual Panorama route and Blyde River Canyon, from Hazyview you will drive about 20 minutes longer. Graskop is a bit higher up (on the escarpment) so a bit cooler than Hazyview. As you say, more places to stay in and around Hazyview, and very easy to arrange a day tour from there. I would recommend GAP tours www.gaptours.co.za but there are many other companies you can also use. Or, like you said, rent your own car and get a freelance guide to join you for the day. Even without a guide, it is very easy to do the Panorama Route on your own and visit all the sights. Some of the highlights include Mac Mac falls, Berlin falls, Lisbon falls, Pinnacle view point, God's Window view point, Bourke's Luck potholes, Three Rondavels view point, and many more view points and waterfalls. In Hazyview, get a decent map from your guesthouse or from Perry's Bridge and you will have no problems.

Have fun!

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hazyview vs Graskop

I would recommend staying in Hazyview. For excellent accommodation and overall hospitality, I recommend Abangane Guest Lodge (www.abangane.com) They will also be able to assist with arrangements for any tours you would like to go on.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Balule Nature...
Level Contributor
135 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hazyview vs Graskop

Hi,

I would say Graskop as this pittoresque village is located in the hills on the scenic route. From here you can first visit some of the waterfalls, God's window and then go to discover the Blyde River Canyon.

Misty Mountains lodge in Graskop is a nice accommodation with -if not hazy- amazing views.

Also the Thaba Tsweni lodge (4 stars - stayed their with my family for 2 nights in February) I can reccommend: http://www.wheretostay.co.za/thabatsweni/ , with nice views as well and within 5 minutes walking distance to the Berlin falls.

Having said that, from Hazyview to Graskop is about 25 minutes. Hazyview is located in the Lowveld - Sabie valley - region. Our favourite place to have coffee is Perry's bridge. Here you also can buy several tourist maps, as mentioned by Onne.

There are organised tours, the owner of Thaba Tsweni lodge (field guide who used to work for years in a private nature reserve) takes you personally on the scenic route and into the Kruger park.

Regards from the windy bush -rains are on their way-!

Corné van Dongen.

-Owner/manager Amukela Game Lodge-

Balule-Hoedspruit.

4. Re: Hazyview vs Graskop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2011, 05:17