We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accomodation to spend the night

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
68 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
accomodation to spend the night

My family will be flying in from Victoria Falls, arriving at Johannesburg OR Tambo, reaching at 1505 (ETA). After hiring a car, we shall drive towards Panorama/Kruger Park.

Where should we stay for the night before touring Panaroma route the next day? It will take 2 hours to reach Belfast, and 3 hours to reach Lydenburg. Is R36 safe in the late evening?

Or, is it safer to spend the night in Graskop/Sabie/Hazyview - a more touristic area?

Please assist with your comment.

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: accomodation to spend the night

I would suggest Dullstroom - right in between Belfast & Lydenburg. It is an idyllic little town, with plenty of accommodation and lovely restaurants.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,799 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: accomodation to spend the night

You wont be leaving the airport before past 16h00 which gives you about 2 hours daylight of driving.

I therefore think, Graskop/Hazyview/Sabie is to far. Nevertheless, the roads are safe and if you take the N4 it's all well maintained highway. So you could drive all the way if you want to be as near to the panorama as possible.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,950 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: accomodation to spend the night

I stayed here in September - http://goodersonleisure.co.za/kloppenheim/ - with the express reason to see if it is a good place for travelers in your position. That is, looking for an overnight stop en route to the Panorama Route and the safari areas in the east. I liked it very much - and must note that this is not a budget lodge. But it actually is an impressive place and if the price is OK for you, I recommend it.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: accomodation to spend the night

I would spend a night close by, afther the long flight, the time differents and more. Afther going throught custom, picking up,the luggage, getting the car, you only have 1 or 1,5 hours of daylight.

Then afther a good night start fresh and early to drive to the Panaramaroute.

5. Re: accomodation to spend the night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2013, 10:15