We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blyde River Canyon

Shefford, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Blyde River Canyon

We will be travelling to SA this summer and would like to visit the Canyon as well as the other attractions in the area (Rondavels, God's Window, Mac Mac Falls and so on) on our way from the Kruger Park to Johannesburg. Considering that we'll be checking out of Kruger around 11 am, would it be reasonnable to visit it and drive to Johannesburg the next day with enough time left to visit the Apartheid Museum, or should we add a full day to our itinerary? Any suggestions on this itinerary and recommendation of where to sleep when we visit the canyon area?

Thank you

Boston...
Level Contributor
359 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blyde River Canyon

Hi,

A few thoughts:

Where in Kruger are you staying and which gate do you intend to leave from?

If you plan on leaving camp around 11am, then you may not leave the gate until 12pm or 1pm -- largely dependent on where you stay and sightings along the way.

The Panorama Route, to be done well, requires close to a full day without the added pressure of driving to Johannesburg. My recommendations for places to stay for the Panorama Route would be Graskop or Hazyview.

As for the Apartheid Museum, I think this is a half-day excursion and driving there and back can get you caught up in some crazy traffic (especially during peak work hours) so best to avoid that by having the flexibility built into the extra day.

One recommendation is to leave Kruger early and drive the Panorama Route for that day. Spend the night in Graskop or Hazyview (do a quick early morning Kruger self-drive since you will have bug in you) and take a leisurely drive to Johannesburg. You can then do the Apartheid Museum and another activity the next day at your pace.

This feels less rushed to me. Also, you will be there during the South African winter so it does get dark early. While I am not opposed to night driving in South Africa, I try to avoid it when I can.

Can you front load the Apartheid Museum before Kruger? THat could be another option as well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Heeten, Owner, Swagat at Kruger Park Lodge, Hazyview/Boston

Shefford, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blyde River Canyon

Hi, thanks for your reply. I will add and extra day to my itinerary so as to not rush everything. Actually, I believe that we'll be booking at a lodge in a private reserve but I wanted to decide on the itinerary first.

3. Re: Blyde River Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2014, 21:15