We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarket(s) in between Idube and Lower Sabie Rest Camp

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Supermarket(s) in between Idube and Lower Sabie Rest Camp

Hi,

asking for friends who took my advice to book in these two places.

Where would you stock up after Idube if you were to stay for 2 nights at Lower Sabie? Hazyview, Skukuza, Lower Sabie or somewhere else?

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Supermarket(s) in between Idube and Lower Sabie Rest Camp

Outside the park will always be cheaper and the range much greater.

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Supermarket(s) in between Idube and Lower Sabie Rest Camp

I thought so, but it seems that Hazyview is the next place to do so, which is a detour of at least two hours. Anything in closer vicinity that is worth mentioning?

Local knowledge, anybody?

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
838 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Supermarket(s) in between Idube and Lower Sabie Rest Camp

The camp shops in the south of the park are pretty well stocked if it's a long detour and only 2nights I'd try the camp shops and avoid loosing viewing time. You can buy most things.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,850 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Supermarket(s) in between Idube and Lower Sabie Rest Camp

Hi Dudel

Ok the thing is when you leave Sabi sand to the south and get back to the highway you are just a few minutes to Kruger Gate, so this is a big part of the trip anyway.

To me you have two alternatives, head into Hazyview, do your shopping and enter the park at Phabeni gate, which is close by, that way you start game driving straight away.

Otherwise, and this is what I would do, head straight into the park at Kruger gate, you are so close. Then whether you stock up at Skuks or LS does not really matter, both shops are a good size and have plenty of stock. Time may be a factor, plus you need to allow lots of time to get between camps.

Yes they will be a little dearer than the supermarket, but hey you will save on both petrol and game drive time. And really if it's only for two nights the difference would not be that great, and you may decide to try out the new Mugg and Bean at LS one night.

Unless you are after something fancy you will be surprised at the shop range, we got some nice made up salads last time at LS, though they sell out quick. We tend to have our main meal earlier in the day and just a very light dinner once back at camp.

Enjoy

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Supermarket(s) in between Idube and Lower Sabie Rest Camp

Thanks everybody.

6. Re: Supermarket(s) in between Idube and Lower Sabie Rest Camp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 06:16