We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay before we safari in sabi sands?

gloucestershire
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay before we safari in sabi sands?

Hi,

We are planning our honeymoon for late July this year. Have booked a 3 night safari in sabi sands and have 4 nights to spend elsewhere. Our plan is to visit blyde river canyon, water rafting, quad biking etc but also I see there are things to do in Hazyview with restaurants etc.. Where is the best place to stay that is central to all activities, we will have a car and be driving from jo'berg airport. Our budget is tight but also want something nice, scenic, safe!

Thanks!

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay before we safari in sabi sands?

Not sure how tight your budget is when staying for 3 nights in Sabie Sands, but Hazyview is definitely the right decision for the rest of your stay.

Close to Graskop, start of the Panaramo Route along the Blyde River Canyon and hub of all activities.

Have a look at www.travelbook.co.za and I am sure you will find accommodation within your budget.

Enjoy your trip!

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay before we safari in sabi sands?

We just drove through Hazyview recently and personally I would not want to stay there. We stayed 2 nights at Protea Kruger Gate Hotel and loved it...it's about a half hour from Hazyview. We were able to do self drives in the Kruger Park which was an amazing ewxperience. If you're not looking to do more safari's that at Sabi Sands then possibly Hazyview is a nice central location for you.

After we left the kruger Gate we then drove to Sabi Sands where we stayed a few nights at the Nkorho Bush Lodge and LOVED it there! Sabi Sands is a totally different experience where you are totally catered to! However, we both agreed we liked the experience of doing self drives in Kruger and then the ranger drives at Sabi.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay before we safari in sabi sands?

Abangane Guest House is very well recommended, Klaus regularly offers good advice on TA. Have a look at www.abangane.com

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay before we safari in sabi sands?

I would like to disagree. Sorry!

Hazyview as the centre of the town is not a preferred place to stay and does hardly offer any accommodation anyway.

The slightly outlying parts of Hazyview (still part of Hazyview) have some of the best accommodations on offer you can find in the area. Furthermore does Hazyview offer activities from A-Z, a good choice of restaurants, a shopping mall, etc.

I understand the poster having had a bad excperience when withdrawing money from an ATM, but that happens everywhere in the world every day and should not be a reason to run Hazyview down.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay before we safari in sabi sands?

Furthermore Hazyview is only app 8-10 km away from the Phabeni Gate, one of the most convenient Gates to enter the Kruger National Park.

Selfdrives from Hazyview are comfortable and there are lots of service providers, such as www.safarisdirect.co.za who pick you up and drop you off at your establishment in case you wish to have the experience of a game drive in an open safari vehicle.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,086 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay before we safari in sabi sands?

Hey Klaus - I assume you were disagreeing with ashley bruce and not somersetal - Lol! Sometimes intervening posts create interesting threads!

BTW I second Somersetal's recommendation of Abangane Guest House as a wonderful place to spend a few days on honeymoon. We throrougly enjoyed our stay there last year - although sadly not on honeymoon - well maybe our fourth or fifth!

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay before we safari in sabi sands?

VdC

Yes, I was, LOL!

Klaus

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay before we safari in sabi sands?

Phew ! that's a relief !!! LOL

gloucestershire
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay before we safari in sabi sands?

Thanks all!

We blew our budget on the safari and are now looking for something around £100 uk pounds per night. Thanks for the recommendation on the website Klaus! Has anyone heard of Ashbourne house? Reasonable price and looks nice but I can't find any reviews on the place? OR Idle and wild?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,086 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay before we safari in sabi sands?

Don't know Ashbourne House but R1,310 for a double room at Abangane including a wonderful breakfast, was £100 - until the pound started falling a couple of weeks ago. Might be again by August - after the UK election?

Edited: 05 March 2010, 20:55
Get answers to your questions about Hazyview