We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM Fraud-Hazyview.....be careful!

Which Hazyview hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
ATM Fraud-Hazyview.....be careful!

EVERYONE traveling in Africa please be careful of ATM fraud. My husband and I just returned a few days ago to discover that someone withdrew over $3,000 from our account and various atms! We were driving through Haxyview on our way to Protea Kruger Gate hotel and stopped to get gas at a large gas station right next door to a large supermarket. When we had to pay for gas in cash my husband went to the atm at the grocery store next door.

There was a nice, well dressed looking man who told my husband the outside atm was broken that he would have to use theinside one. Well my husband thought nothing of this and proceeded to use the inside one and the same man tried to assist him which my husband then told him to leave him alone. Well somehow the man must have seen our pin and somehow has the atm programmed to remember cards because all of the fraud started on this day! I highly recommend using a credit card while traveling and exchanging cash....do not deal with atms if you do not have to!! Luckyly we are protected by our card and will be getting the $ back but it is sad to think that this man is probably stealing $ from tourists everyday!! If anyone says anything to you or tries to assist you in anyway....please do not use that atm at all!!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM Fraud-Hazyview.....be careful!

A sensible warning but unfortunately not limited to South Africa. I have used ATMs regularly over the ten years we have been visiting SA and never had a problem. I have had problems with ATMs in UK on more than one occasion. Same applies to credit cards, no problems in SA several in UK.

Just take precautions you would anywhere and NEVER accept advice/help from anyone hanging around an ATM.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,063 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM Fraud-Hazyview.....be careful!

Ashley

Sorry to hear of your experience.

Advice on this has been posted on here many times. ATM fraud is unfortunately worldwide. Go and search ATM Fraud on the TA UK forum and you get nearly 100 threads with close to 1,000 comments!

The private ATMs inside small stores and garages are not recommended as they are much more under control of private individuals. They also often charge an additional fee for use. Bank ATMs branded FNB, Standard Bank, ABSA or Nedbank - either at Branches in the High Street or located in Large shopping malls or OUTSIDE large petrol filling stations are nearly always fine. In nearly all cases they offer you the best rates and easiest way of exchanging money. They are difficult to "get at". Carrying cards is always much safer than carrying cash.

As you say don't let anyone "help" you at an ATM, in any country, no matter how well meaning they seem.

Credit Cards are far more likely to be scammed, anywhere in the world, than ATMs. When I was last in the USA just over a year ago my Credit Card was scammed and I don't believe it ever left our sight so some restaurant or other place used a fake hand held terminal.

As you say you are always reimbursed by your Bank or Card Provider but it is all of us customers, in all countries, that end up paying for scams and fraud. As well as your inconvenience.

Thanks for alerting people to ways these scams can happen.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM Fraud-Hazyview.....be careful!

Thank you very much for your warning and advise, which is applicable for the rest of the world as well.

Precautions and awareness are what will save your from such an experience.

I am living since 5 years in Hazyview and we are using the ATMs very regularly and never had a problem. But yes, we are aware that now and then incidents happen, in Hazyview and the rest of South Africa and the world.

We know not to listen to strangersm how friendly and well dressed they may be, in Hazyview and anywhere else.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
433 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM Fraud-Hazyview.....be careful!

ATM fraud is rife throughout the world, not just Hazyview.

If the ATM machine looks iffy...walk away

If someone offers to 'help' you at the ATM walk away whether you are in London, New York, Milan, or Hazy View.

Just always be aware at an ATM whatever country you are in.

Gemma Dry - Safari Manager - Truly Africa Tours

5. Re: ATM Fraud-Hazyview.....be careful!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2010, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Hazyview