We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rest stop enroute to Hazyview from JNB

Sherkston, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Rest stop enroute to Hazyview from JNB

If we were to make our way to Hazyview from Johannesburg airport I was told it takes about 4.5 hours - we are self driving. Please advise me of a rest area enroute to Hazyview for gas and lunch. Is the panorama route enroute from JNB to Hazyview or past Hazyview?

Also being from Canada I am concerned about the driving on the left side - not sure how easy it will be to get out of JNB airport in an unfamiliar city while driving on the left side - which is something we have never done!

Any feedback appreciated.

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
794 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rest stop enroute to Hazyview from JNB

You can hit part of the Panorama route, but not the best parts on that route. Dullstroom makes a good 1/2 way stop. Several lunch choices and if you time it right an amazing bird of prey show. You can find my review on this site. We were a little nervous about the driving but it was not really that bad. It is helpful to have an alert co-pilot to help remind you as we found ourselves on the wrong side once or twice.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,069 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rest stop enroute to Hazyview from JNB

I do think it's a little confusing in the very first few minutes when you leave the airport.

You come out of a dark garage into the light, and very quickly need to take the ramp to the R21 south. The sign is marked R21S - Boksburg. You will merge into the R21 - and after a short distance traveling south on it, gradually bending left, to the east, you will merge into the N12 toward Witbank.

Now, it's easy. Farther on, the N4 will come in from the left and that remains the main road you take till you decide where to exit. To go to Dullstrom? All the way to Nelspruit?

Level Contributor
441 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rest stop enroute to Hazyview from JNB

I too think Dullstroom is a great choice for a stop between JNB and Hazyview. In fact, we frequently overnight there if we are arriving on an early morning flight from NYC or London and feel we would do better with a proper sleep. Great town.

Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rest stop enroute to Hazyview from JNB

If you go via Nelspruit on the N4 to Jo'burg you could stop in Belfast or Middelburg.

When you go via Graskop-Lydenburg then Dullstroom is a good choice. Check out the Old-Transvaal Inn, a restaurant with also a book & candy store.

Regards from the bush,

Corné van Dongen.

-Owner/manager Amukela Game Lodge-

-Balule - Greater Kruger Park -

5. Re: Rest stop enroute to Hazyview from JNB

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Hazyview
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now