We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels near Kruger NP

san francisco, ca
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels near Kruger NP

I am visiting S Africa in August for my Honeymoon and just found out that all the rest camps are fully booked due to some marathon. We are now looking for lodging just outside the park. (We can't afford one of those fancy private game reserves.) Between Buhala, Protea Kruger Gate, and River House (and Malelane Sun?), what would you reccomend? Is there a different place we should look into?

Thanks!

Nelspruit
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels near Kruger NP

Have you thought about staying at a guesthouse in Nelspruit - we can recommend Shandon Lodge - www.shandon.co.za - we stayed there recently and had a wonderful time, the rooms are beautiful and spotless, it's an easy 45 minute drive into Kruger Park and Tony the host is very informative on where to go and what to see!

Good luck and have a wonderful holiday!

London, United...
Level Contributor
409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels near Kruger NP

I agree to the previous poster that there are much cheaper options in the small villages around the Kruger Park.

I'm sure you will rent a car, so it shouldn't be a big problem to drive to the park.

Look at places like White River, Komatipoort, Hazyview, Kiepersol or Graskop. They are all situated around the Southern part of the Kruger Park within easy driving distance.

Hope you find something suitable :)

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels near Kruger NP

We have stayed at two places handy for visitng Kruger, Hulala Lakeside Lodge (www.hulala.co.za) between Hazyview and White River. Built around De Gama Dam lots of birdlife on site and easy to drive to Kruger . If you prefer a smaller guest house in beautiful gardens (with swimming pool), the most delightful hosts (Sue & Chris) who are fantastic cooks then I can thoroughly recommend the Palms, Nelspruit. (www.thepalmsnelspruit@absamail.co.za).

We stay there every year and I reckon it is the best value for money place to stay I have found in 6 years of visiting South Africa. You can easily get into Numbi Gate for the Skukuza area of Kruger and with a slightly longer drive can get into Melalane Gate for a different area. Wherever you decide on I personally much prefer the wonderful personal service you get in the smaller establishments than the hotels, which are ok but tend to be impersonal.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
83 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels near Kruger NP

My partner and I visited South Africa for two weeks in April and stayed two wonderful nights at The Ambience Inn, in White River. White River is 10 minutes from the Mpumalanga Airport, and just 30 minutes to the Numbi Gate into Kruger Park (southern end of park). The Ambience Inn is run by two excellent innkeepers, Issy and Hannes, and has six beautifully decorated rooms, two acres of landscaped gardens, huge swimming pool, delicious homemade breakfasts, all in a gated, secure environment. We thoroughly enjoyed the place, and all for about $80/night for two. Also, from White River you are about an hour to Graskop, Pilgrims Rest, Sabie and God's Window, and many sights in this region. Have a great trip.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels near Kruger NP

The Prorea Kruger Gate you refer to is a great hotel. It has a lovely viewing deck along the Sabie River and one oftens sees elephant and other game, when having sundowners. The hotel is situated metres from the Kruger Gate, so access to Kruger is quick and easy. Highly recommended.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels near Kruger NP

I agree. Protea Kruger Gate has a great setting and you will at least feel like you are in the bush (you may be able to hear the hippos, hyenas and lions at night). The same is true for the Malelane Sun which is situated at the Malelane Gate. Both of these are great options if the camps in the park are fully booked.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels near Kruger NP

If you are going for 4 nights, I would suggest staying 2 nights somewhere in the South West, Hazyview or White River, and 2 nights South of the park, near Malelane gate, e.g. the Malelane Sun. This will give you 2 different areas of the park to explore.

8. Re: Hotels near Kruger NP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 02:20
Get answers to your questions about Malelane