We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari from Nelspruit ? Or from Johanesburg

Montréal, Québec
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Safari from Nelspruit ? Or from Johanesburg

Hi there,

I'm flying in Jo'burg on the 8th (in 5 days!) and heading right away for a 3-4 days safari in Kruger Park. After that, I'm meeting some friends ideally to in Nelspruit where we will rent a car and head down to Dragonberg.

My question is, would it be worth it flying to Nelspruit and find a 3-4 day safari from there ? Or would it be just be a better deal to take a 3-4 day safari package from Jo'burg and have them drop me back in Nelspruit ?

Any advises are welcome ! Thanks!

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari from Nelspruit ? Or from Johanesburg

The National Park is probably all booked up as it is school holidays. Except maybe the north, which is nowhere near Nelspruit.

A lot of the cheaper (and therefore popular) private reserves get booked up months and months in advance.

Good luck trying to get something decent on the day.

Jasper, Georgia
Level Contributor
19 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari from Nelspruit ? Or from Johanesburg

I agree with the previous post - you are going to have a hard time finding accommodation for a safari at the last minute. But Nelspruit is much closer to Kruger and all the private lodges than Jo'berg to it is your best bet. But I would definitely start looking now for accomodations. You might just get lucky and find something at one of the park lodges - try Skukuza and Satara.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,789 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari from Nelspruit ? Or from Johanesburg

Just had a quick look on www.sanparks.co.za and it realy looks like you wont find anything available.

Alternativley have a look at one of the B&Bs or Guesthouses right outside the park. As a lot of them do not accept children under the age of 14 the likelihood of finding availability is good. You can then book daily tours into the park or self-drive.

A website with online availability is

www.travelbook.co.za

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Montréal, Québec
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari from Nelspruit ? Or from Johanesburg

Thank you all for the responses ! I would have never found it by myself that there is school vacation at this time a year... So I decided to book in advance to be sure and found something pretty good with the link provided by Klaus (travelbook). It looked like a good value and with good reviews tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1116715-d58537…

I just need to drive there from Jo'burg, so I just booked my car in a advance a little bit.

Thanks again !

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,789 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari from Nelspruit ? Or from Johanesburg

Glad to hear you came right!

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

6. Re: Safari from Nelspruit ? Or from Johanesburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 20:45