We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayak Safaris?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
651 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Kayak Safaris?

http://www.kayaksafaris.co.za/

Has anyone done this? Anyone used this company before? I really like the idea of Kayaking on the St Lucia estuary, so I can view and photograph crocodiles and hippos up close. I am slightly concerned about the fact these animals are dangerous, but apparently hundreds of people kayak on these crocodile, shark and hippo infested waters without incident!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayak Safaris?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2nD-mB5DlE

This video makes it look scary, but I am keen to do it - need some reassurance though!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayak Safaris?

Are there no adrenaline junkies who have done this and can reassure in terms of safety?!

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayak Safaris?

Strange though it may sound, it does depend upon the time of year. If you go in July/August when it is winter in St Lucia, the crocs are much slower. They spend most of the day sunning themselves on the banks trying to warm up as they're cold blooded. If you see them feeding the crocs in the croc farms during the winter months, meat can land on their noses and sometimes they can't even be bothered.

We also canoe and enjoy it as a way of getting closer to hippos and birds. Still here to tell the tales, of which there are suprisingly few of a dangerous nature. Took our daughter (11) on her first trip this year in Botswana in a mokoro having considered the risks - again in the winter! Yes, there is an element of risk to be considered but lots of folks do it. SA is generally safety conscious.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayak Safaris?

Yeah I think I am going to go for it - flat bottomed kayak too so very stable, if a little slow. My wife hates the idea, but am sure I can persuade her..

London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kayak Safaris?

Thanks for pointing out the crocs will be sluggish. Doesn't it still get pretty warm in the day in August at St Lucia?

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kayak Safaris?

Yes, for us it seems quite warm - tshirts and shorts on most days. We have been known to venture into the sea. Jumpers and light fleeces in the evenings and wrapped up warm on early morning game drives (I'm usually the idiot in the wooly hat!). However, a couple of hours warm sun is not enough to warm up a big croc sufficiently for it to get active before the sun goes down again on a cool night!

Kayak fast enough when you're cruising around looking at the wildlife, views, etc IMO. Don't like anything even remotely white. I'm out at the first suggestion that anyone might want to use a spray deck! Prefer canadians for us oldies . . .

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kayak Safaris?

Safarfiend is correct Crocs hibernate in the winter and they don't generally feed during these months. Hippo on the other hand :)

Just teasing. You should be fine.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kayak Safaris?

I am sure we will observe Hippos from further away than the crocs! Would imagine they have all got used to seeing flat-bottomed Kayaks..

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kayak Safaris?

Won't tell you about the time we had to get out and carry our canoe (complete with gear) past a bull hippo who didn't want to move then . . .!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
112 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kayak Safaris?

Hi Graham,

I am having the same thoughts, torn between kayaking and the horse riding. For me hippos are the one animal I am terrified of.