We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is a public taxi and how to book one? SA Backpackers...

Which St Lucia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What is a public taxi and how to book one? SA Backpackers...

The owners of the hostels in SA are not really helpful bunch to backpackers.

Their websites lack info on how to get there on public transport, and when you ask they either ignore you, or write "Many backpackers arrive using public taxis that the local people use".

Now I have no idea what that means, and how to find one such thing. How to book it?

Is that true that SA is country for only tourist with lots of money and cars?

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,822 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What is a public taxi and how to book one? SA Backpackers...

OK well I tried, enjoy the rest of your stay. You paint a dark picture of a place that has given me so much pleasure over the last 19 years.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What is a public taxi and how to book one? SA Backpackers...

You paint a gloomy picture of a country I have lived in, loved, enjoyed, and traveled from end to end, many times, for 66 years.

Remember, millions of people visit my country, and have a wonderful time, and they are definitely NOT all millionaires.

If you are so afraid of being murdered, if everything is so expensive (it is not), if the businesses are all unhelpful, and shady, then perhaps you should visit somewhere else.

Perhaps you want to consider the Red Sea, at Sharm el Sheikh, as a safer, cheaper option? (Still Africa)

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,756 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What is a public taxi and how to book one? SA Backpackers...

Well said Gavin.

the advise given has been answered very thankfulness and disrespectful.

I wonder why this person did come to SA at all, I wonder even more, how this person managed to stay alive in our war zone!

Ridiculous I say! Let's not waste any more time and focus on the real people here.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

London, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What is a public taxi and how to book one? SA Backpackers...

Sorry guys. I do apologize. I didn't mean to upset anyone. Just told you how I feel, to maybe open eyes to others. I am not saying that everything is bad. And I don't think I have said anything too off the mark. About being murdered I was warned by local people and local police. That from the 10 hostels I wrote to only 2 answered with basically "rent a car" answer, which is not what I am looking for.

Actually could you tell me what was so bad I have said?

You know this country reputation? So what's the big deal? Why the hostility? I am just telling you how I feel, when I find out that there is a beautiful place, but it can't be reached other than in a car, even though there is like 5 backpackers hostels in it... That seem strange. I agree with you that I am not that intelligent person, but anything I have said was with love and respect, and it hurts me that I have upset you. I do apologize... I am a person who in not comfortable in a car, and it is expensive for him. Why is it such sin to say that clearly the country is not for me, but for someone more accomplished? Most people have no problem driving clearly. I do, but why can't someone even tell me the price of that "public taxi" from Richards bay to St. Lucia is beyond me... Have no one ever done it?

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What is a public taxi and how to book one? SA Backpackers...

>>why can't someone even tell me the price of that "public taxi" from Richards bay to St. Lucia is beyond me... Have no one ever done it?<<

I may be proven wrong, but I think it unlikely, in the extreme, that the people who frequent this forum will have ever taken a "Public taxi" from Richards Bay to St. Lucia.

I think the best way to find out, would be to get yourself to Richards Bay, and make inquiries among the local "public taxi" drivers, as to their charges for such a trip.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: What is a public taxi and how to book one? SA Backpackers...

Maybe post your questions on Lonely Planet? which is more of a backpack friendly site.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
263 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: What is a public taxi and how to book one? SA Backpackers...

We will also be first time visitors to SA soon. I have also posted questions on the TA forum & have found the answers really valuable! Maybe embrace the advice given? From what I have read & researched, there is no better forum. Take the advice! You have asked the question & been given the answer from people "in the know: I woiuld love to hear back from you about how thiings worked out!

Edited: 20 April 2013, 11:56
Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: What is a public taxi and how to book one? SA Backpackers...

Hi Klaus and Gavin.

As you may realize many attempts have been made to assist the op on other similar threads, and have been met with much the same response and therefore given up on.

Suggest follow advice from Klaus.

London, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: What is a public taxi and how to book one? SA Backpackers...

I am still in midst of my traveling, so just quickly. Things worked out great and I have found just what I was looking for. An amazing beach, snorkeling and beautiful camp with the right kind of people, who are not only not afraid, but also enjoy traveling with local taxis, which work much better than anything else, and are much fun. Tracy from Natural Moments camp in Sodwana Bay helped me a great deal, and explained to me how things work, and how easy it is actually...

Here are the helpful links:

https:/…

This blog sort of really nicely explains also how to travel in south Africa if you are a back backer with little money, adventures spirit, and love for all people no matter how fortunate or educated they are:

travelblog.org/Africa/…blog-754618.html

Pietermaritzburg...
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: What is a public taxi and how to book one? SA Backpackers...

Don't use the public taxis in south Africa, I wouldn't recommend the safety, call a private cab company if you do not wish to hire a car, hope you have a good trip. South Africa is a great place for anyone to travel through, not just rich people.