We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we take our dog with us to see the Namaqualand flowers?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
67 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Can we take our dog with us to see the Namaqualand flowers?

Hallo. I'm hoping someone (or many!) can help us with advice: we want to drive from Cape Town to Namaqualand to see the flowers -- now, in Aug/Sep. We will want to spend the weekend somewhere that is dog-friendly, ie where we can have our dog stay with us in our room. He is a very friendly, well-behaved Labrador -- loves all humans and animals alike. Can anyone recommend reasonable and comfortable accommodation that will accept our dog? We will be three people (myself, husband, and mother) and our dog.

Also, any advice on what farms will allow a dog for walking through to see the wild flowers, and of course what nature reserves will allow a dog for flower viewing.

And finally, advice on which weekend will be good for flower viewing!

Many thanks in advance.

5 replies to this topic
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we take our dog with us to see the Namaqualand flowers?

I am afraid that you are going to battle to find any accommodation at all.....not because of the dog, but because you have left it so late. In January we already had a problem to find a place in the flower area.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
67 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we take our dog with us to see the Namaqualand flowers?

Thanks Gerald. That is amazing, that in Jan you already had a problem!! Oh dear... it might be one of those trips that we need to book, then, for NEXT year!!

Anyway, would you be so kind as to recommend what towns/areas are best for staying in for flower viewing (yes, thinking of next year then...). And also to recommend where to view the flowers (nature reserves, farms, etc). Thank you!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we take our dog with us to see the Namaqualand flowers?

Best places we have seen them are always at Nieuwoudtville and Postberg

Cape Town
Level Contributor
67 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can we take our dog with us to see the Namaqualand flowers?

Thanks Gerald.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can we take our dog with us to see the Namaqualand flowers?

We stayed at farmhouses in Namaqualand 2 yrs ago. I'm sure some will allow you to take a dog but doubt NP allow it. Plenty flowers can be seen outside the NP. But check with farmers first. Many have huge dogs that will attack a new dog on their patch despite being friendly towards guests. Good waterfall at Niewoudville. Whilst there we also saw plenty Blue Cranes and Kori Bustards. Kamieskroon also had great views of wild flowers.

Reply to: Can we take our dog with us to see the Namaqualand flowers?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Northern Cape
More Northern Cape Topics