We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Augrabies falls in August

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Augrabies falls in August

Hi,

After my trip to Richtersveld NP I plan to travel from Port Nolloth to Upington to catch a flight to JNB. I had originally planned to do the whole drive in one day, overnight at Upington and catch the 12-50 flight the following day.

But when planning the route I realised I'll be travelling fairly close to Augrabies falls, apparently just 30 minutes drive from Kakamas turn.

Now I am wondering whether I should visit the Augrabies falls. I understand in late August the flow of water would be much less than April.

If I want to see the falls on the way and reach my accommodation in Upington by early evening then what time should I leave Port Nolloth ?

Google suggests a Seven hour non-stop drive from Port Nolloth to Upington. Is that a reliable estimate? Is it reasonably safe to drive in N14 after sunset ?

The other option is to break the journey at Augrabies SANparks camp and leave next morning by 8 am to be in UTN airport by 10 am.

I am just wondering if the Augrabies falls is worth making a detour in August with reduced water flow and which option would be better if I decide to pay a visit.

Many thanks.

6 replies to this topic
Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Augrabies falls in August

Augrabies Falls is as magnificent with or without peak flow. The rock formations are unique and spectacular and the visit is well worthwhile. I highly recommend an overnight stay - the chalets in the camp are excellent. I think Augrabies is a very under appreciated park and we certainly enjoyed our three days there in May.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Augrabies falls in August

Thanks very much Tryhard. I was teetering more towards Augrabies and your comments have firmly pushed me to have a break there overnight. I saw some photos of the falls with lights on. Do they still do that ?

Cheers

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Augrabies falls in August

Yes I believe so, as we saw the mounted lights whilst walking on the extensive decked walkways although we didn't go down there at night. There are hundreds of rock dassies which inhabit the area too and are quite used to people so it is wonderful to watch them up close. Do be wary of snakes and baboons around the chalets - don't leave windows or doors open. Enjoy!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,023 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Augrabies falls in August

I agree. Lock the chalet doors. I woke up to find a baboon trying the handle. Felt very naked, with only a pane of glass between us...

Also saw magnificent eland on a selfguided walk. Total surprise.

And got closer to klipspringer there than I had anywhere else.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Augrabies falls in August

Thanks Peterscot.

A very pleasant surprise to hear from you in the SA forum as I had benefited tremendously from your advice in another forum.

So one more vote from another like-minded traveller for Augrabies. Have to make a detour. This area ( and Northern cape) seems to be a bit off the beaten path. Just what I love.

Cheers.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,023 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Augrabies falls in August

I've not posted here for a while as the questions seemed to focus on the Garden Route, Cape Town and being mugged....

A few years ago, I drove from JNB to Cape Town. Augrabies was one of the highlights. I didnt expect to see any wildlife, so the eland were amazing. The walks are clearly signposted. Obviously, they may have moved by now, but I suspect the baboons and dassies will be there.

Reply to: Augrabies falls in August
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Northern Cape
More Northern Cape Topics