We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming in February?

Which Sun City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Helsinki
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming in February?

I am not a native English speaker so please bear with me.

Anybody know about the swimming possibilities in Sun City in February? It seems that only the pools at the Palace and the Cascades are heated. Since we are planning to stay at the Cabanas, I would like to know what is the water temperature in the other pools, the lake and the Water world.

This would be very important for our daughter after a freezing Finnish winter.

I have have tried to ask this from Sun International, but after several emails I only know that the Palace and The Cascades pools are heated, and you are not allowed to use them if you are not a guest. The actual water temperature in the other pools or the lake seems to be an impossible question to answer.

Balule Nature...
Level Contributor
135 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming in February?

Hi,

February is summermonth here (the seasons are reversed to Europe) and our pool water is then average 28. No need to heat it :)

Regards from the bush,

Corné van Dongen.

-Owner/manager Amukela Game Lodge-

Balule-Hoedspruit.

Helsinki
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming in February?

Hi,

Thank you! Would you say this applies to Sun City pools and the lake as well? If so, that is great! In Finland we consider the lake' water warm if it is over 20C ;-)

We love you country - also for other reasons than the climate. We have been to SA roughly 10 years ago. A week in Cape Town, a couple of days in the Winelands, by car from Cape Town to Ballito, a week there incuding day trips to Hluluwe game park., then by car to Joburg airport and the flight home.

It was a wonderful trip - but we did not swim anywhere at that time, so I had no idea about the pool temperatures. In many European hotels the pools are not heated, and since they often take the water from the sea it can quite cool in the spring or early summer.

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming in February?

East Coast of Sa, Kwazulu Natal Hluhluwe/Mfolozi area warm Indian Ocean in Feb, CT has beautiful warm weather but water is always cold. High Veld, Sun City also warm water, it gets very hot in this area in summer so no worries there.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Balule Nature...
Level Contributor
135 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming in February?

Hi,

I am sure in Sun city the temperatures of the (pool)water will be very pleasant in February.

Yes, this is a beautiful country, as a Dutchman living here for more then 6 years I can testify that :)

All the best,

Corné.

Balule-Hoedspruit.

Helsinki
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming in February?

Fantastic! We'll book the flights and hotels right away.

Corné, I just naturally assumed that you were South African. Don't you miss the winters in Holland?

I take it you can easily speak Afrikaans? Your lodge looks nice! (Hope my saying this is not against any forum rules) Maybe next time, when our daughter is older, we may get there.

Last time, in 2002, we had actually booked accommodation in the Kruger area, but when we found out that my wife was in the family way, we adjusted our plans from the bush experience to more urban one ;-)

We definitely need to stay in the bush sometimes.

Top regards from Finland!

Balule Nature...
Level Contributor
135 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming in February?

Hi FastFinn,

Only last winter I missed the snow and walks in the forrest with my dogs. Having said that I also enjoy beeing in the swimmingpool with my kids in February.

Thanks for your compliments, yes I speak Afrikaans. Learnt it by reading the newspapers and talking to the locals. When we built our lodge I spoke most Afrikaans with them.

Enjoy your vacation, take lots of sunblocks with as the Sunshine can be very bright in February.

Regards from the bush,

Corné van Dongen.

Balule-Hoedspruit.

7. Re: Swimming in February?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2011, 05:17