We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Budget" accommodation in Sun City surrounds

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
"Budget" accommodation in Sun City surrounds

Hi - I am looking for accommodation near Sun City for myself and my wife for a concert at the Superbowl. I don't particularly want to travel more than, say, 20-30 minutes and not spend more than ~R1500 for the two of us for the one night (less is obviously better). So far Kwena Chalets and Kedar Country Hotel are two that mostly fit that brief. Any comments on these two (aside from what has already been said in a posted review)? Also - any other options that you can recommend? We can eat at Sun City so self catering is also an option (and preferred if it is private and away from the masses).

Thanks very much

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,355 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Budget" accommodation in Sun City surrounds

I recently stayed at the Sundown Safari Ranch hotel for one night.

10 minutes away from Sun City.

The room was adequate, and clean, and the restaurant offered surprisingly good fare, for a very competitive price.

link here:

sundownranchhotel.co.za/hotel_facilities.html

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Budget" accommodation in Sun City surrounds

I have stayed at Kwena Chalets and Kedar Country Lodge. the latter is quite far from Sun City, whereas the former is on the property. If you are going to have to drive back late at night, Kwena is better and safer.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and safaris

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Budget" accommodation in Sun City surrounds

Thanks Lyn,

Aside from distance, which would you pick i.t.o. the quality of your stay?

Pilanesberg...
Level Contributor
441 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Budget" accommodation in Sun City surrounds

Most concerts are on weekends, and most the Hotels, Lodges and Resorts have a 2 night stay on w/ends policy. Last time I booked clients at Sundown it still was the policy, but maybe that changed. I would try Valley View Guest House in my Village, Mogwase. They will give you a Saturday night only at R650 - they have 25 rooms, 17km from the SC gate, so a 11min drive.

Jaco Rautenbach

Owner, Adventure Travel Africa

5. Re: "Budget" accommodation in Sun City surrounds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 05:17